Headphones for a metalhead
Oct 18, 2012 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LSDawson

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy some headphones soon. I'm really into extreme metal (death, black, thrash, sludge, folk, etc.) but I also like bass to be very audible. I don't want it to be the most prominent thing, but I still want some good bass. Metal is definitely not the only genre I listen to - I like lots of indie rock/post-hardcore/math rock/post-rock/ambient/electropop/synthpop/ambient techno/IDM/folk etc. http://www.last.fm/user/LSDawson Here's what I listen to if you want to get really in depth with your recommendation.
Also, I don't care about looks, I would prefer a decent amount of noise isolation, and I'm looking to spend around $200. Thanks!

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I'm looking to buy some headphones soon. I'm really into extreme metal (death, black, thrash, sludge, folk, etc.) but I also like bass to be very audible. I don't want it to be the most prominent thing, but I still want some good bass. Metal is definitely not the only genre I listen to - I like lots of indie rock/post-hardcore/math rock/post-rock/ambient/electropop/synthpop/ambient techno/IDM/folk etc. http://www.last.fm/user/LSDawson Here's what I listen to if you want to get really in depth with your recommendation.
Also, I don't care about looks, I would prefer a decent amount of noise isolation, and I'm looking to spend around $200. Thanks!

Your musical compatibility with LSDawson is High.
Music you have in common includes Between the Buried and Me, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, The Jesus Lizard and Animal Collective.

You probably want something neutral-esque or maybe something more vibrant. If you want something new, I can definitely recommend the SRH 840. If you are willing to go with used, then many more possibilities are opened, including the D2000, HD 595/HD 598/HD 600 etc. I haven't tried any of these except for the SRH 840, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. The SRH 840 is fantastic btw.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Heya,

Used Denon D2000
Beyer DT770
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone PRO 750
Brainwavz HM5
M-Audio Q40

Very best,

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 7
I listen primarily to Metal (Death, Thrash, Progressive, Folk, Melodic...) and the Denon D2000 is killer. They sound good with everything else  too, which is good for when I skip between other genres.  

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 7
Metalhead here. +1 SRH840. Original Grado SR80. Senn HD485. I like AKG K240 Studio as well but those love juice so I use a Fiio E17 with it and my ipod classic. Metal is a tough genre for headphone love that's for sure.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 7
Forget SR80, go for SR225i instead!
Or one of the closed-back headphones mentioned earlier in the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back