Headphones for A&K A70
Oct 21, 2017 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dougan

New Head-Fier
First post, so please be gentle!

I have just purchased a A&K A70 as an upgrade to the entry level Sony NWZ-A15.
I am currently using a pair of V-MODA Crossfade LP, not ideal, but I got them for a good price.

My question is, I would like a pair of closed back headphones that would work well with the A&K A70.
I mainly listen to vocals, with Dire Straits about as heavy as it gets!! So not too worried about the bass side, much preferring detailed mids and highs with decent separation and soundstage if possible.

My budget is £300, but ideally would prefer to spend less if possible!

Many thanks!

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd worry less about something that "pairs well with the player" but more so something that pairs well with your preferences. As long as you don't try to drive some crazy 600 ohm headphone with low sensitivity from the player, anything will work! What type of sound signature do you prefer? Warm and relaxed, analytical, laid pack but punchy, bright and detailed, V-shaped and exciting?

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 4
I like listening to acoustic and vocal music a lot, nothing heavy or too rocky! So no need for mega bass etc!
I do like a detailed forward sound.

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 4
I like listening to acoustic and vocal music a lot, nothing heavy or too rocky! So no need for mega bass etc!
I do like a detailed forward sound.

Thanks

Best to worst in order but I consider all of them great and think you'd love them for vocals or any all-around genre:

Closed Back Recommendations:
Oppo PM-3 ($400 - You can try to pick these up used or save up for them. Best sounding closed back headphones I've heard to date)

Bower & Wilkins P7 ($350 - great sounding headphones, slightly on the warmer side. Premium build, comfortable, hard to go wrong)

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 ($250-$300 - Comfortable and overall just great sound)

Audio Technica MSR7 ($250 - this one sounds good and I think most people would find it comfortable - I tried and thought it was decent - sounds spectacular)

Hifiman Edition S ($150 - Can be used open or closed. Have more sound leakage than normal due to removable backs design but lets you use them as open or closed. They don't leak too much unless you crank the volumes pretty high)

BeyerDynamic DT770 ($150 - This is a V-Shape Headphone and generally speaking, they have recessed mids which are not good for vocals. It is cleaner, more refined, has better bass textures and sub bass than the V-Moda M100 - which is way better than your LP's. Most comfortable HP I've ever worn with HD800S aside).

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you need any specific details on any of these.

-Eugene

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back