Headphones for a College Student
Jan 30, 2005 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

m0nkeybl1tz

Head-Fier
[size=x-small]Hey all, I've never really been a huge audiophile, but when my last headphones finally kicked it, I decided to treat myself to some new ones. There are a couple of features that are important to me, and some that aren't, and I was hoping you guys could maybe help me out.

First of all, I mainly listen to rock, although I do occasionally listen to some hip-hop. So it would be nice to have headphones that make those genres sound good, though, like I said, I'm not an audiophile, so it doesn't have to sound super.

Also, my other main issue comes from how I'm planning on using them. I almost exclusively use an iPod, so I'll need headphones that can be driven by that. Also, isolation is an issue, since I want to use them in noisy dining areas, and long plane flights to and from school. As for plane flights, it would be nice if they were comfortable for 4-6 hours at a time, and relatively portable as well.

The final criteria is price. I'd like to spend less than $50, though if there's a big jump in quality, I'd be willing to shell out the extra few dollars. From my research, it looked like the Grado SR-60's or the Sennheiser PX200's, and I eventually went with the latter. However, it looks like they won't be available for another month, so I've been given time to reconsider. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
[/size]

600smile.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 22
Given your budget and needs, I think a set of canalphones are your best bet. Either the Sony EX71s (~$30), Sharp MD33 from Audiocubes, or if you're willing to stretch your budget a bit, the Shure e2s (~$60 - $70).

Of full-sized phones, maybe the Sony MDR-V6 (~$60), though I've read that the highs on them are quite shrill. The Grados are open cans, so isolation is going to be basically non-existent.

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 22
Thanks for the help! Your post actually reminded me of another question I have. I've used the iPod stock earbuds, which I felt were a tad uncomfortable. Are any/most canal/in-ear phones comfortable? Thanks again!

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0nkeybl1tz
Thanks for the help! Your post actually reminded me of another question I have. I've used the iPod stock earbuds, which I felt were a tad uncomfortable. Are any/most canal/in-ear phones comfortable? Thanks again!

Erm, some of them can be uncomfy, but others aren't. The EX71s are very comfortable which is about the only good thing going for them. The E2cs are quite comfy if you use the foam tips. MD33s are just as comfy as the Sonys but they don't suck.
icon10.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Are any/most canal/in-ear phones comfortable? Thanks again!

Well, of the canalphones I've mentioned, I've only used the Shures. They come with two types of tips: silicon and foamies.

For me, the silicon tips irritated and dried out my ears, but they provided the best isolation. The foamies are really comfortable and still isolate very well. Their main drawback is that they get dirty, so you have to replace them after awhile (or else clean them). You can pick up replacements for $10 for a pack of 5 pairs off of Ebay. I usually replace my foamies about every two months or so, depending on how well I've taken care of them.

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 22
Sony E888 earbuds (like the ipod buds, but they don't suck), and maybe sennheiser mx450/550 (which don't suck also). I try not to recommend Sennheiser MX400/500 because they're rather large and don't fit unless you've got pretty big ears. Oh, and they have weak bass.

Also, KSC-75s are excellent if you don't need isolation and only cost about 20 bucks. They are the open cans of choice for use with my iPod Mini.
icon10.gif
They sound great amped too.

Full-sized closed cans are going to go over your budget. The closest ones I can think of offhand are going to be Audio-Technica ATH-A500, but they are just under $100 US, and they are fairly huge...

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 22
For in-ears, you may have a try with the MX450 (or the 550, it's the same).
Possibly, you'll feel like you're already done with in-ears (in a positive sense!).

So you can invest in some full-sized 'phones like the Grados, or.......
Stay tuned
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 22
get the most convenient phones of the better ones mentioned here

I don't think anything in this price range is really going to blow your socks off, so there's no reason to make huge sacrifices like portability or comfort for small sound improvements...I'd stick with the PXs if I were you (though I prefer clip ons like the ksc-**) since they supposedly sound unusually good for portables, and well, they're portable and conventional

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 22
Wow, thanks for all the help! Right now, I'm leaning towards the Shure e2c's, but I'm wondering how noticeable their faults are. Most of what I've read says they have ridiculously good isolation and sound quality, but I've also read that they can be uncomfortable, have weakish bass, and something called treble roll-off. Is this a problem? Or does its quality completely overshadow these? Thanks again for all your support.

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Wow, thanks for all the help! Right now, I'm leaning towards the Shure e2c's, but I'm wondering how noticeable their faults are. Most of what I've read says they have ridiculously good isolation and sound quality, but I've also read that they can be uncomfortable, have weakish bass, and something called treble roll-off. Is this a problem? Or does its quality completely overshadow these? Thanks again for all your support.

I like my e2c... IMHO the treble roll off is not severe enough for ME to consider it a flaw. IMHO its more of a signature than a flaw. I use my MuVo EQ to boost treble 3-4 db and they sound very good. IMHO they are a little shy on the bass, but it works to its favor... the slight bass recession sets the stage for its *great* midrange clarity.

I boost bass and treble and can get a sound very similar to my KSC75. IMHO the e2c is much less conjested sounding than the KSC75 too.
Despite its bass and treble recession I still enjoy listening to them for their great midrange clarity.

Note that my e2c is not fully broken in yet. It needs a week on the sine sweeps to reach full potential.

Ive heard mixed reviews on the ipod EQ.... some like it some dont, and many would prefer a user adjustable EQ instead of the presets. Might want to consider this as well.

**edit**
The other thing to consider is the e2c doesnt NEED much treble boost becasue of its superb isolation. It blocks out so much ambient noise that treble notes can be clearly heard despite their recession.

Garrett

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 22
I'm in High School and I have owned both a KSC-35 and now a pair of Shure E2c. I bought the latter planning on not upgrading until I graduate at the least (in a year and a half) and perhaps longer. So far, they have suited me very well.

They have a big jump in sound-quality, especially detail. I'm probably not the type of person who cares a lot about how balanced the entire sound spectrum is, but I think hearing elements in the song that I've never heard before is really, really cool. I enjoy the sound of the canal-phone.

I find the Shure's to be quite comfortable; I lie down with them on the couch at least once a day. I try to listen to music for at least 4 hours a day, with one hour in the car and three hours with my iPod/Shure E2c combination. I use the "Latin" EQ preset on everything. I've been trying out the different covers, and I'm probably found the largest foamies to be the best fit; the biggest draw back is that I'll probably have to buy some more of these really soon, so there is an upkeep cost.

Yeah, if you couldn't tell, I'm satisfied. Plus, you can have these on in class without a worry in terms of their visableness. I got mine for, like, $60 dollars online - highly reccomended.

Jan 30, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 22
Ok, last comment, I swear. At this point, I think it's between the MD33's and the E2C's. Any advice as to which is better? Also, where's a good place to buy these? I have some money at amazon.com, but if I can save like $20, I'd buy 'em elsewhere. Thanks again for all the help.

Jan 30, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Ok, last comment, I swear. At this point, I think it's between the MD33's and the E2C's. Any advice as to which is better? Also, where's a good place to buy these? I have some money at amazon.com, but if I can save like $20, I'd buy 'em elsewhere. Thanks again for all the help.

e2c beats the MD33 if isolation is a priority and your MP3 player has user adjustable EQ sliders for treble boost.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back