Headphones for a Big Ole Head!!
Dec 28, 2005 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

miTunes75

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

I'm new here, so please forgive me. I did a search for "big head", "large head" and didn't really get anywhere.

I'm trying to find a pair of headphones that are somewhat noise cancelling and that will fit my head. I'm looking for something that will be durable over the years being on a larger head. I have read about bose quiet comforts (just seems pricey for what you get). I have read about bose tri-ports (too many comlaints about the plastic being broken very easy ... and with a big head, I know that won't work).

I'm sure there are people out there in audophile land with a little larger than normal head...please help.

I'm also looking for somthing where when there is strong bass, it does not distort. I want something that sounds very clean.

I don't want to spend more than $200. I hope this is realistic.

Thanks for the help.

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 12
I would check out the Sennheiser HD580, AKG K501, Beyerdynamic DT880 and the Grado SR225

Also, scower the FS forum and you can likely find a great deal.

You might also what to consider the In Ear Monitor route... something from Shure, Etymotic, Ultimte Ears...

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 12
If you want noise cancelling, look for some closed headphones. The Audio Techinica A500's and A900's should fit the bill nicely, and are very comfortable. Also, you don't really need an amp to drive them, but you do know that we'll soon be forcing you to buy one right?

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 12
yes, i have seen a lot of talk about amps on here
smily_headphones1.gif
don't know what the hell you guys are talking about, but i do see it
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be using these mainly for listening to music through my computer.
We don't have the largest house on the planet and I do a lot of music listening during my "wind-down" time after work and the wife and kids have gone to bed. Right now I'm using a pair of crappy 5.99 headphones that seems to come from a "walkman" hahaha. I'm definately wanting to do a major upgrade.

Do any of you guys have an amp connected to your computer? or...just listen to a cd player of some type connected to an amp that has headphones attached?

I guess I need to read more in here.

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by miTunes75
there is so much out there....how do i know what to buy when I haven't listened to anything????

Don't take offense, but with your current setup, I think you'll like anything that you buy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 12
Buy a ton of stuff, then pick your favorite and return all the rest. This of course works best when there is no restocking fee.

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 12
Sennheiser HD580:

Price: ~$140
Big head comfort - Check
Sound quality excellent - Check
Build last for years - Assuming you take care of your things, check.

Grado SR-225:

Price: $200
Big head comfort - Iffy. Adjustable, yes, but headband can be a bit tight on large heads in my experience (as another big head). Strategic bending can alleviate this to an extent, but it's still not the most comfortable headphone.
Build last for years - Iffy. Grado have some, erm, spotty build quality on occasion.

Audio-Technica A900:

Price: ~$190
Big head comfort - Check. Also, incredibly comfortable headphones.
Build last for years - Iffy. They're well engineered, but I can see a few weak elements to their design that may hurt their long-term viability. The plastic used is durable, and the aluminum obviously isn't going to get hurt, but I question the lasting power of the inter-driver wire running along the support wire.

I don't know about Sony headphones, sorry.

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 12
I always described my head by saying "one size fits all hat's don't fit me". Never really considered it when purchasing my first audiophile phones recently (unless you count the Koss Pro3AAs). Seems like I went the right way with A700s ( they are in Osaka, can't wait till I get them). A lot of people on here seem to have big heads.

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 12
Don't worry, anything should fit you. I have a head size that's between 7 7/8 and 8 flat, and my Senns and Grados fit fine.

As for noise-cancelling, seriously consider whether you could deal with ear canal phones - it's hard to move on without figuring that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back