Headphones for 50 dollars (trip)
May 27, 2007 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

boo54577

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Sorry if this post seems redundant but I couldn't find another topic with what I wanted. Basically I'm looking for a pair of headphones for around 30-50 dollars. Since I will be traveling for about a month with these headphones, I'd like them to be somewhat portable, hence no huge and heavy pairs. I really don't know much about headphones except that ear buds are worse. I generally listen to alternative, indie, rock, and all that stuff. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks.

May 27, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 18
OK. Let's just get this out of the way: Koss KSC75
If you don't mind in-ear phones you could get JVC Marshmallows and some replacement tips (foamies) for the Shure E2c - that will run you about $30.

For $57 there are the Mylarone X3 (also in-ear).

May 27, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 18
If you want open, then iGrados or PX100s. iGrados have an edge in mids and detail while PX100s have a larger bass sound. If you want a closed headphone, someone else will have to answer.

May 27, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 18
Yeah, I bought my wife the px100 and she loves those. A little tougher to throw in a bag than the in-ear type (IEM) but very good choice if you want a small headphone.

May 27, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 18
OK thanks a lot guys. Is there a big sound quality difference between isolation and non-isolation? Cause right now I'm leaning towards the iGrados or px100, but if isolation makes a big difference then I might reconsider.

May 27, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 18
you'll need isolation if there is noise around you
planes, trains...probably not very safe around automobiles

the px100 and igrados let sound in and out so you'll be able to hear other people and other people will be able to hear your music a little bit

May 27, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 18
Isolation can be unsafe in terms of surrounding hazards but maybe safer in terms of listening levels. Because there isn't outside noise interfering, you can hear every detail of the music at much lower volumes. At least in theory, the music sounds good at lower/safer volumes.

By the way, don't discount the KSC75 because of the lower price. Do a search around here and you will find almost frightening devotion. Around here they are almost considered a "must own" because of the price/quality ratio.

May 27, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by boo54577 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, yeah isolation sounds more appealing, but is there a big loss of sound quality? And are the ep-630s the best way to go for under 50 in terms of isolation headphones?

In general, there is definitely not a loss of sound quality moving from traditional headphone to in-ear's in the mid price range. The question is whether you can get a high enough quality in-ear's to compete with the excellent recommendations given so far in this range.

You definitely need to search for the Crossroads Mylarone X3 but keep in mind they are relatively new so excitement about them might tone down a notch after people have lived with them a while. The consensus is that they are great IEMs for the money and I don't see that changing one bit (I'm expecting mine any day now).

I know there are a bunch more great IEM's that you should search for but I don't know the prices so I can't recommend much.

Here is someone with a budget of $100 so that should weed out the high end ones for you: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242244

UPDATE: The more I read, the more I see that people recommend the Mylarone for sound quality and not so much for isolation.

May 27, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 18
KSC75 or PX100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back