Headphones for 3d positional sound
Mar 17, 2002 at 2:24 PM Post #32 of 36
AB side by side Voodoo5 and GeForce3 playing Giants: Citizen Kabuto and you can clearly see that the 3dfx image looks way better. They're both blurry and lack texture detail, but the Voodoo5 displays good use of shading and color tone. ATI looks like **** too. Matrox Gxxx and S3 Savage4 are the only ones with good image output, but they too have major problems. I was however talking about 2D quality, and I'd say Matrox wins for consumer level. 4MB PCI Millenium looks better than GF3,
biggrin.gif

But, this thread relates to gaming, and games are all about gameplay to me, not flashiness. Overall, I'd say ATI Radeon is the most useful. All these features that these gaming cards have are pretty damn useless, but they're great for games.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm happy with 640x480*32 @ 80fps (TV out to 53"). - Lets me pretend I have a home arcade system.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mac are you serious???

Mar 17, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #34 of 36
Off Topic:
[EDIT] I won't say anything....... NO, shut up, I told u im not gonna say anything, now get outta my head![/EDIT]

On Topic:
If there are better headphones (not for music, for gaming) then I would like to know. $70 is not my absolute maximum, I have more money, its just I was basing that on the quality of Grado 60s, except I was looking for gaming cans. If I spend more here, then I might have to skimp on my new watercooling system (or just delay making it), which I don't want to, cause I don't wanna have pipes coming out of my nice clean box.

About the HP890s, am I an idiot, or can I not find a place to buy em, all I find are a few reviews. (I found one place in Malaysia, but they didn't say price).
[EDIT] Found Meier-Audio, I would be willing to buy these for $100, but if they are not better for gaming (or at least the same for gaming, and better for music) then I wouldn't. [/EDIT]

Mar 17, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #36 of 36
I was using for last four years Sony MDR-CD470, whose are probably out or production now. Along with that I was using Diamond MX300 soundcard which is equipped with Aureal Vortex 2. Even though Aureal is dead for several years I still have not heard anything better in terms of 3D positional audio from any other manufacturer (read Creative
smily_headphones1.gif
).
Accidentally I happen to have also Sennheiser HD580 for several months and from what I experience with both phones I would say:
1) definitely go for closed phones because of isolation. I believe you might not mind some noise when listening to music, but when playing the game you will be positioning sounds rather by instinct than by will and the ambient noise will distract the subconscious process.
smily_headphones1.gif

2) I do not know how famous V6 look like, but CD470 have transducers oriented slightly forward (or backward, it depends how you look at it), so sound is coming in more natural direction to the ear compared to the Senns, where transducers are completely parallel.
Aside from musical quality I found good old Sony far better for gaming compared to otherwise superior Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back