headphones for 250$, hd595? help
Apr 20, 2008 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sina

New Head-Fier
First of all let let me say that i am a freak for headphones. i bought sennheiser hd 215 like 3 months ago and now i got money and want to buy something really good.

I listen to trance, so quality is very important, such as bass, overall sound quality and isolation. Looks are also important for some reason.

Now I got 250$, and i want to buy the best headphone available for that price. I looked at Sennheiser's site only good company i know of) and found HD 551, 555 and 595 attractive and good (as it says in the description). Could you please suggest me some excellent and comfortable and headphones? i like my HD 215, as its nice and comfortable and all, but i got money now and want something better that i can listen to for a long time without getting tired and at the same time enjoying the music.

Im relying on you guys so please help!
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 18
You could give the Denon AH-D2000 a look. They're very comfortable and have good sound quality, and I think you can still buy them for about 220.

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 18
I need to try a 780 one of these days, I keep seeing them recommended everywhere I go...

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by outbreak123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trance? Ultrasone HFi-780 came on my mine
smily_headphones1.gif

It has everything that you mentioned above, soud quality, bass, isolation.

They're avalaible for 200$.

its kind of ugly. and also small. i usually think the bigger the better lol. but i dont know. Denon is not bad, but im unsure. anything more? anything from sennheiser?

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 18
I haven't heard very many Sennheisers, the only ones I've ever heard were a pair of 595s, and at the time I didn't have much to compare them to. Still, they seemed pretty good.

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 18
Ugly? smalls?

Ugly maybe not too much, and it's not that small either. But they do sounds much better than HD595 for Trance/Rock IMO.
Sennheiser HD595 is good for classical but too laid back and not involving at all, and a bit bass shy for Trance music.

Of course you don't have to believe me, but if you want to, i think you won't regret it at all if you get HFI-780 for Trance, Rock, Metal and all that kind of aggresive music.

And about Sennheiser.. for generals i think they are much more suited for jazz n classical music, but i think Trance sounds good on Sennheiser HD25-1 II, IMO the most aggresive sounding in Sennheiser series. alot like HFI-780 IMO but of course the HFI-780 still sounds better, especially recabled.
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 18
i'm assuming that you're only looking to buy headphones and not an amp to go with it. if this is the case, you're limiting yourself somewhat with the sennheiser line as their higher end phones need the extra juice to sound their best due to high impedance. the hd595 would be what i would suggest if you want to stick with senns. however, some folks aren't satisfied with the bass response on the hd595, and given the genre that you listen to, they may not suit your needs. i have the hd595 and lately they have been coming around in the low frequencies after 80-100 hours of burn-in. i would also look into the denon d2000 (as suggested before) for that price range. they seem to be awfully popular and i've heard that the bass is nice and full. they just might carry the groove the way you'd like them to in your choice of music.

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 18
well maybe you got the concept of trance wrong. its not like techno, and its not aggressive like techno or rock. I dont want to blast my ears off, but rather enjoy the music. And in terms of volume, well most of the headphones are enough for me. All i want is quality you know?

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 18
i forgot to ask....are you looking for a certain style headphone? open or closed? what's your listening environment like...do you care if sound leaks from your headphone? the more specific you are, the more helpful the rest of us can be in suggesting your next pair of headphones.

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 18
Yes yes i know, i love to listen to trance/house with my HD25-1. Well i'm just recommending you with my experience with HD595, HD25-1, HFI-780. I find the HFI-780 is the most enjoyable for music like Van dyk, van buuren, etc. but they also sounds good with everything.

Well it could be better if you try them so you know which one would you like best.

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 18
HD595's are a solid all-around preformer at a very attractive price. You should be able to score a pair for <$200. Since they are low impedance cans, you do not need to use an external amp, but they do improve with amping if you choose to do that in the future.

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakey27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i forgot to ask....are you looking for a certain style headphone? open or closed? what's your listening environment like...do you care if sound leaks from your headphone? the more specific you are, the more helpful the rest of us can be in suggesting your next pair of headphones.

hmm... well i guess you're saying is isolation. Is HD 215 closed or open? i guess its open. but it does remove outside noise to an extent. and im happy with that. More the better but its not a necessity.
My current headphones is good in terms of leakage. The sound doesn't get leaked out when i put them on. So thats good, no problems.

i have two questions to ask btw. What is specifically a burn-in? from reading a little here i think it means that the sound gets better and you get more used to it as time goes on. Does this mean that the sound changes completely?

My second question is about the amp. Can the amplifier be installed on the headphone itself? or do you have to connect your headphone to a device (the amp) in order to listen?

thanks for answering
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD595's are a solid all-around preformer at a very attractive price. You should be able to score a pair for <$200. Since they are low impedance cans, you do not need to use an external amp, but they do improve with amping if you choose to do that in the future.

ok. but what about Hd 515? or HD 555? they seem nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back