Headphones for $100?
Mar 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cardboardhome

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to spend $100 on a pair of headphones, any type(over ear, in ear, on ear, just not open). I am currently looking at:

Shure SRH440
Shure SRH880
Audio Technica ath-m50
Triple.fi 10
Head-direct re0/re-zero
Creative Aurvana Live

Out of these which these is the "best"? The only other decent headphones I have, are my brother's monster turbines which I find pretty good. I need them to be durable, because I'm not looking to buy another pair for a while. I would prefer to buy from:
1. ebay
2. FS/FT forums here

I don't want to buy a bunch from amazon just to try them. As in, if I'm not planning on buying them from Amazon, I find it unethical to buy a pair from amazon just to try since amazon usually sells headphones more expensive then other places. 
Please list what headphones you have, or have listened to when commenting. 

Thanks guys. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 6
No such thing as a "Best" for everyone. That never works. Best thing to do is describe your favorite genres and what kind of sound signature you prefer.
Some prefer lots of bass, forward mids or rolled off treble etc.

If you get one that's very neutral, it might bore you to death. Based on your list, here's how i'd rank them for personal preference:

Triple Fi 10
SRH-840
M50
SRH-440
CAL!
RE0 (first version)

Owned them all..kind of sad. I lived with the TF10 for 4 hours and loved every minute of it. I actually switched from the K701 and DT-990 to those.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 6
I agree, no such thing as a "perfect" headphone. I think I'm looking for balance, as when I listened to the m50s I found them a little bit bassy. However, how big would you rank the difference between the headphones? Because the CAL can get rather cheap, and the m50/tf10/srh840 are on the very edge of my budget, though I think I'm going to try and get the tf10s. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 6

I am looking for headphones around 120, you already recommended me the dj100s but its such a hard decision for me. Do you have any other recommendations
Quote:
No such thing as a "Best" for everyone. That never works. Best thing to do is describe your favorite genres and what kind of sound signature you prefer.
Some prefer lots of bass, forward mids or rolled off treble etc.

If you get one that's very neutral, it might bore you to death. Based on your list, here's how i'd rank them for personal preference:

Triple Fi 10
SRH-840
M50
SRH-440
CAL!
RE0 (first version)

Owned them all..kind of sad. I lived with the TF10 for 4 hours and loved every minute of it. I actually switched from the K701 and DT-990 to those.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I am looking for headphones around 120, you already recommended me the dj100s but its such a hard decision for me. Do you have any other recommendations

Well, you'd have to describe your favorite genres and sound signature preferences.
When I buy a new headphone it's based on my preferred sound signature. I jump all over headphones that are neutral with slightly forward upper mids and non-fatiguing treble.
I want a headphone that's fun and engaging due to it's mids. If it's not I don't like it usually. When I hear of "recessed mids" I automatically skip that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back