Headphones for £100 ($150)?
Dec 24, 2011 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mackem

500+ Head-Fier
So I am looking for some new full-size headphones. I want a pair that are going to be comfortable for hours on end for gaming/listening to music, especially since I wear glasses and have a large head/ears so comfort is important. I want the best headphones to suit my music taste. I listen to a lot of rap, R&B, dubstep, dance and techno but on occasion I do listen to rock music. If anyone can recommend me some headphones, that would be great.

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 7
I would have said HFi580, but if you have a large head and glasses, it ll be maybe incomfortable. Glasses requires headphones with a low clamping force or very comfortable pads.

Perhaps pro550 in your price range, but i don't like cheap pleather pads.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 7
If you are after comfort and can stretch you budget a little I would look at the Beyer DT770 or DT990, many different impedance levels so research for exactly which would suit you best.  If you plan to use them for portable use as well you will want the 770 for the noise isolation, but even then these are pretty big cans.

I had the Ultrasone HFI-580 prior to my Beyers and was pretty happy with them, but found them a hard to wear for LONG periods (3hrs+) and gave them to a family member after buying the 770's. 

Other people also sing the praises of the Panasonic RP-HTF600 in terms of performance and price but I couldnt comment personally on these as I have not got round to sampling a pair.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I would look at the Beyer DT770

Yes, good choice for a comfortable headphone and good bass, but DT770 pro, not DT770 05.

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 7
I would also say to go for the Beyer DT 770 Pro or Beyer DT 990 Pro.....both a bit over £100 but well below £200, last time I checked they're both about the same price and both have great bass & treble and slightly recessed though extremely clear mids. Both made in Germany so they're built like tanks.
The biggest difference is if you want closed backs so your music doesn't leak out and outside sounds don't seap in so much at the expense of some soundstage and a slightly boxed in sound.
Or do you want an open airy sound with a wide sound, great bass and extremely good clarity and instrument separation where you can still hear something of what's going on around you in the real world....DT 990 is known for being great with movies, gaming, electronica music and rock music - I can attest to this as well as I own a pair and I believe their bang for the buck value is incredible. But saying that I don't think you'll go wrong with the DT 770 Pro either to be honest. Just depends if you want open backed or closed backed headphones.

There's reviews of both on Amazon. Worth a look.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I'd prefer closed headphones as I do a lot of late night gaming/music listening.

Beyer DT 770 Pro then :wink:

Plenty of options in the closed backs though if you can swing the extra hundred you could go for the Denon D2000. The M50 might be a good choice also more within your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back