Headphones fatiguing?
Oct 9, 2002 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Aboogwa

New Head-Fier
Well my main problem with my headphones is that they sound fatiguing... I can listen to music on my computer speakers all day, but when I put on the headphones my ears start hurting after a while and have to take them off... Also this is not a comfort issue, I think the headphones are very comfortable.

I am listening from the Senn HD600 (supposedly not a fatiguing phone?) thru the Corda HA-1 thru a santa cruz sound card.

I'm even using the stock cord b/c the cardas cord, while being more detailed, sounded bright and a little more fatiguing

Is there any remedy for this or is it just the nature of headphones?

Oct 9, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 19
hm... I guess yes! some headphones are definately fatiquing.. but in your case senn hd600 ??
confused.gif

I guess it's your mp3.. you said u listening through your computer right? poorly encoded mp3 sound bright and has terrible high and definately very fatiquing.. change the source. That's the only solution. It's because headphone is more analytical than speaker that u notice all the mistakes in mp3..
That's the way it is.

Oct 9, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 19
How loud are you jamming to your tunes?

Oct 9, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 19
I'm listening moderately loud... but not to an unreasonable level (I hope).
The thing is if I listen quieter it doesn't sound as good

The fatigue is even an issue with 256-320 kbps mp3s

Oct 9, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 19
I have the same problem with you.. even with some of my 192kbps it still sounds fatiquing... I plan on getting an external soundcard like M-audio's sonica but then.. I don't know if it will offer significant improvement over my current soundcard..(btw mine is yamaha.. sucks :p)

I head santacruz is quite good.. so I don't know whats the problem.. perhaps you should disable the eq if you are on winamp.. last time I used techno eq now I off it with my beyer.. much better.

Oct 9, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 19
Probably the volume.

Do you have an amp?

Perhaps one (oddly enough) will cure the problem?

Oct 9, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Do you have an amp?

Perhaps one (oddly enough) will cure the problem?

A very good point -- I often find that with a good amp I actually listen at much lower levels because the amp can actually provide the details and dynamics without having to jack up the volume.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the original post; he is using an amp
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #9 of 19
remember this response to kelly?

Quote:

But much like you are making a compromise of listening to lesser quality formats than SACD/DVD-A, alot of people choose to make the compromise of listening to MP3 instead of higher quality formats..

For one thing, to a lot of people (not to all) mp3 files are much easier to obtain than CDs or Monkey's Audio format files... Whenever they want to listen to a particular album or song they can just download the mp3s and be listening to what they want right away. Also some people have already amassed a huge collection of mp3s while having very little actual CDs. They just don't find it worthwhile to give up all their existing music in pursuit of higher sound quality. Essentially they are choosing music over sound quality.

I guess it was the TONE of your generalization that indirectly suggested that this compromise in favor of MP3 was not the wisest one, although it is likely that you will deny that you actually meant it like that.

Hmmm, I'm just wondering if the right compromises were made such that in the end music is chosen over sound quality...

I personally don't consider HD600's ranking high on fatigue factor. I also have to question how worthwhile it would be to couple an aftermarket headphone cord to a source that is 1/3rd the cost of the cable alone.

Oct 9, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 19
Tim D shivohum was throwing around a link in that thread about how 256 kbp - 320 kbps mp3s were inidistinguishable from WAVs...

I personally cannot readily distinguish between CD and high bit rate mp3s on this system..

Wow it's suprising how many people missed this in my original post but...

The amp is the Corda HA-1

Santa Cruz sound card -> Corda HA-1 -> HD600

the sound card may eventually change to a 24/96 coax out -> ART DI/O

Oct 9, 2002 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 19
256-320kbps are supposedly indistiguishable from wav when encoded(or decoded??) using the right encoder and Lame etc..
some crappy program just couldn't produce the good sound even when set at 256kbps..
it all depends on who distribute the mp3s.. if possible burn them yourself.

Oct 9, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 19
If they're not already, make sure you turn down your master volume and wave out volume down to at least 80%. Many times soundcards will get a bit harsh at full volume.

Oct 9, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 19
I actually don't mind well-encoded Mp3's from my Irock portable Mp3 player, but I'm listening to it with a more portable type rig and never for too long.

Fatigue is a question of long-term evaluation which is often ignored in shorter A/B tests anyhow. Sometimes it isn't that stupid or illogical to go off your gut feelings no matter how "subjective" this type of testing is, it is the one that most mirrors your actual listening behavior. It has very little to do with short term A/Bing of Mp3's vs Wav's. In fact when A/Bing you are inviting fatigue in the first place.

In anycase, fatigue is a common complaint from many when it comes to computer source listening, and it can come down to the fact that you are using Mp3's, your soundcard, or the acoustically and electrically noisy computer itself. Or maybe it could be something else entirely like needing a better monitor to stare at. Yes there are always claims and short A/B tests that toute Mp3 transparency. But I'm always more interested in the claims of fatigue and longer term evaluations. If you do manage to isolate your source of fatigue down to the soundcard let us know.

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 19
HD600 just hurt my head. Ouch. Great sounding, could be a bit (sonically) looser. My AKG 501s are loose, emotive, but are 180 degrees to the ears. Can only listen to one CD per session. HD600 perhaps one and a half CDs. K1000 longer, but heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back