Headphones DIY w/57mm speakers
Nov 28, 2015 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iddqd23

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
i`m thinking about a project on building my own headphones from spare parts...
i have multiple Bluedio 57mm speakers here from cracked B-headphones (you guys might know the story with Bluedio..)
Nevertheless i plan to use those speakers, which DO work on a rebuild. (it was always just the headband, which simply cracked due to poor material)..
Since i know jack **** about electronics, but am pretty good at soildering, i wonder if anyone could help me on that...
i want the cans to have a plug-in 3.5mm jack(not a necessity, but i have the parts from the old Bluedio cans), mono cable-lining -and that`s about it.
I hope you guys can help me out on that, maybe with some NOOB-proof circuit explanation and which cable to use best for it..
(focus on low-cost ^^)
cheers from germany

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 6
Hello, Ill keep right to the point and please do ask questions if you have any.

So far i know you have headphone speakers, jacks and cables. What you need is a good housing to put the speakers in, Construction hearing protectors are my first choice, they are large so it will fit the large speaker drivers you have. they block out external sound and already look like headphones. Tip to get better sound stuff cotton balls into the housing behind the speakers.

To help with wiring here is the standard male 3.5mm jack, Tip, Ring Sleeve also known as TRS jack.

Here is the female TRS jack.

Hearing protection for headphone housing

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 6
hey there and thanks for the advice.
I do have construction hearing protectors but i would want to try to squeeze the speakers into a pair of cheap Grundigs i got first.
Problem is...on the Grundigs the speakers have only two contact plates, on which to solder the cable...on the new speakers i have 4 contact plates and 4 wires..red, green,copper and red/copperish...
which wires should i use and what plates? i tried a couple combinations but no luck thus far...
thanks bunches

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 6
turned out the speakers were busted afterall..i took you up on your suggestion and used some other speakers on those construction hearing protectors..the noise cancellation is something else on these babies lol
one question though, i have those "mega" hearing protectors...meaning lots and lots of casing space...i do live in a pretty noisy area and want the best combination of both noise cancellation and sound quality...you said i should stuff it with cotton balls... can the cotton literally touch the speakers or would that be too much (i have about 3,5 centimeters (inch and a half) left in the casing after the original styrofoam padding..or what would be the best distance from the speakers?
cheers

edit
to give you guys a better idea these are the headphones i`m talking about...
http://www.singer.fr/media/catalog/product/cache/1/full/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/g/hg107pnr_casque_anti_bruit_pliable.jpg

lots of space to fill...originally they come with some soft foam, which covers all the interior...i replaced it with some harder foam though, but took off the outer layer for the speakers to fit in properly...i do have about 3,5 cm left though...
don`t know if i should stuff it with cotton as advised or leave it like that...
btw one can is 7.5cm wide,with (modded) earpads 10cm(!!!) lol

cheers

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 6
ok, so i finally finished the project...found another pair of 57mm speakers and couldn`t resist...
the sound on these cans is absolutely ginormous..i figured that with extra cotton padding it seemed a bit screechy, so i dropped them.
Otherwise truly perfect cans for my needs; giant bass, decent middles and even the highs seem a tad better in this casing compared to the (original) Bluedio Turbine`s.
cheers

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 6
ok, to wrap this thread up i thought i post a picture of the cans after i finally got my Y-splitter cable today..
I know this i a pretty basic effort, but can say, these headphones fit my needs prefectly, i live right next to a noisy street and these babies won`t let a single beep in.
the 57mm drivers add to that and the cotton stuffed mega-housing  benefits the´drivers tremendously.
Also changed the ear pads for some heavy duty thick foam and sealed the cable holes with superglue.
total cost: 1.75€ for cableing.
For the moment i`m totally satisfied as i needed some QUIET in my apartment,... but i`m  already planning a DIY with the same housing on a pair of Bluedio R+ drivers (lots of broken headband units available for little money...)

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back