Headphones - Desire non-harsh Treble
Mar 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mcjjashik

New Head-Fier

Hey guys, sorry about the new thread, I was wondering what would be good headphones for me.
Although I don't mind having 2 headphones for different typestyles of music, one would be nice 
smily_headphones1.gif

I currently own the Q701 (properly burned in with 150+ hours of pink noise and a few others) and I find it too bright for me even after a few EQ adjustments (I feel like I lose sound quality if I do too much that way though).
It fatigues my ears how treble sounds on violin solos with a few high notes on mid-high volume.
I'm still in the process thinking should I return these or not.

Anyways, here are a list of things that I would appreciate:
Budget: Preferably 200-400s, but can go to ~1k if necessary.
Clamping: Not too clamping, the less, the better. Well, as long as it feels comfortable.. and I think I have a relatively large head. Don't think I want the 650 hearing clamping is very strong.
Soundstage: Not too important, but the larger, the better. I prefer sound quality/details over soundstage.
Bass: Does not have to be too present but I do want my cellos sound warm with (sub?)bass. The Q701 sounds okay but it could definitely be better.. 
Mids: Present?
Treble: Maybe I don't mind it being rolled off slightly.. I guess I'm very sensitive to bright headphones but don't want too colored of warm. Anyways, bright = no, spark = not interested. I want to use for prolong periods of time without fatigue.
Oh, and I hate sibilance.

I would like something that is not too unforgiving (if possible), would like to listen to spotify / youtube at times without hearing all the "s" or super bright trebles.

I listen to 90% classical, 10% hiphop.

Any recommendations please? Thank you! 
dt880smile.png

I was wondering maybe the HD600 (not sure how comfortable that is?) or maybe an open-modded D5000?
Or would maybe the top-tier HD800 (used) (maybe the LCD2, might be a bit too boomy?)
Thanks anyone ^.^

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 14
The Sennheiser HD600 has a bit of sparkle depending on your source, but for the most part, it's pretty laid back. HD800 is a big no, lots of sparkle in those. I don't think the LCD 2 is boomy at all, while it does have more mid-bass than most high-end headphones, it is not boomy IMO, if anything it just gives vocals and things in the lower mid-range weight but not boom it's definitely one of my favorite headphones. Some people complain about the weight of them, but they seem to disperse that weight evenly. T1 also has a bit of sparkle if I remember right. After typing that ^ I just read you don't want something warm, but without a lot of sparkle. For that, maybe the Denon D7000? I haven't spent as much time with the D7000, but they were colder than the LCD2s by a bit and had similarly smooth highs. I can't speak for the D5000, but FWIR, it's more bassy and as a result probably warmer. I've also heard an open-back modded D7000 and it made the highs more sparkly and brighter mids, so I wouldn't go with open D5000s. HD598 could be another possibility, but most Sennheisers except for the HD800 are pretty warm.

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 14
The Sennheiser HD650, they have a rolled off treble so you shouldn't hear sibilance anymore although I am not sure if they are too warm for you.

I understand where you are coming from as I also have the Q701s and I dreaded sibilance and harsh treble notes that the headphones came with. You can always try to mod your Q701s by adding a little more dampening. I modded mine and I appreciate them a lot more.

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 14
Hifiman HE400's. Not nearly as drastic treble roll-off as the Senn HD6X0's, but enough of a treble de-emphasis that you get all the treble details with none of the fatigue or sibilance, just a smooth rich sound. The treble smoothness only kicks in after about 30~50 hours of burn-in though, just FYI.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks everyone for their informative response and recommendations. Still would love to hear more.

Quote:
The Sennheiser HD600 has a bit of sparkle depending on your source, but for the most part, it's pretty laid back. HD800 is a big no, lots of sparkle in those. I don't think the LCD 2 is boomy at all, while it does have more mid-bass than most high-end headphones, it is not boomy IMO, if anything it just gives vocals and things in the lower mid-range weight but not boom it's definitely one of my favorite headphones. Some people complain about the weight of them, but they seem to disperse that weight evenly. T1 also has a bit of sparkle if I remember right. After typing that ^ I just read you don't want something warm, but without a lot of sparkle. For that, maybe the Denon D7000? I haven't spent as much time with the D7000, but they were colder than the LCD2s by a bit and had similarly smooth highs. I can't speak for the D5000, but FWIR, it's more bassy and as a result probably warmer. I've also heard an open-back modded D7000 and it made the highs more sparkly and brighter mids, so I wouldn't go with open D5000s. HD598 could be another possibility, but most Sennheisers except for the HD800 are pretty warm.

Wow, this post was very helpful!
HD600 may seem like a very good choice? LCD2 and the other orthos seem awesome but a bit heavier than I may want. For some reason, my scalp is very sensitive to whatever is on it. 
Thanks for the information about the T1/HD800, best to save money than regret (though I'm sure their other features would just WOW most people).
I've read that the D5000's are warmer than the D7000s so maybe that could be better?

Quote:
I feel like this is an equalizational problem more than a headphone thing...

I've tried EQing and while it certainly helps, I would be tired of EQing each time per different recording. I feel like I also lose some detail (or maybe it was false detail) from the Q701 if I lower treble.

Quote:
The Sennheiser HD650, they have a rolled off treble so you shouldn't hear sibilance anymore although I am not sure if they are too warm for you.

I understand where you are coming from as I also have the Q701s and I dreaded sibilance and harsh treble notes that the headphones came with. You can always try to mod your Q701s by adding a little more dampening. I modded mine and I appreciate them a lot more.

Thanks, I appreciate your response. I've heard that the HD650 is very tight (maybe even after a stretch) so that's something I really want to avoid. Comfortability is huge for me since I have a sensitive head. I tried modding the Q701s and it does certainly do wonders! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back