Headphones & DAC/Soundcard for desktop, help me!
May 4, 2020 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

enriii

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I'm new to all the audiophile stuff, and I want to get more into it since I've been enjoying listening to music for years and want to take it more seriously, and potentially upgrade my stuff now.

My first pair of headphones I enjoyed listening to music with was SS 7H (gaming headset lmao) and onboard audio for many years ago and later upgraded to ATH-M50x and Xonar STX. I used that setup for around 6-7-8 years (I have like 4-5 ATH-M50's >.<), and was pleased with it. Sadly STX had the a known screeching issue (https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=iZqELNjFh0o), and until recently when I had the headphones on me, it almost blew the ears out of me, so I had to shelve it to avoid becoming deaf and kill my headphones (again) :frowning2: Since then I decided to go external and wanted to try an external solution in form of Sound BlasterX G6. Honestly I'm quite depressed now. I don't know if there is something messing with my head - suddenly I feel like the music sound a little muddy or not as clear anymore, especially vocals (I don't know how to describe it). With the good reviews on SBX G6, I'm confused. My questions would be:

- Do DAC's/soundcards make a difference in soundquality, could it be it?
- Or do I suddenly realize ATH-M50x aren't as good as people used to say?

Since I'm not into competitive gaming anymore, I want to get a solution for pure music listening for my desktop, but I want to hear you guys' opinions on what you think first. I don't really have a budget, I just want to be happy with a good sound setup (headphones/dac) that's easy to connect to my PC. I was thinking about 500$ +/-.
I always end up V-shape my EQ a little bit, so I guess I like that kind of headphones. Requirements:

- Closed-back headphones
- Something similar to how ATH-M50x sound, just better if that makes sense
- Great for EDM, D&B and hits/pop
- Punchy bass and clarity

Dark/warm headphones like Meze-99 is a no-go, I can't stand these. I need help to what you think on the DAC/soundcard-side though. All help is really appreciated. Thanks! <3 :D

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 15
May 4, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 15
I used to be a closed headphones person until I tried open. I would recommend the HD58X (they can take serious EQing) to you if you want open. Can't recommend any closed cans now, I have been out of the closed world for too long.

Do invest in a standalone DAC/Amp, nothing fancy but choose headphones that you like first and then find a partner for your HP. Go step by step so you notice and experience all the differences or lack thereof.

Topping, SMSL, Schiit, JDS labs, iFi, and sooooo many others!

It's such a great time now for music lovers as there is so many great sounding affordable options out there, just got to find your own way in it!

May 5, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 15
My guess is the ATH-M50X is the weak spot.
Massdrop Beyerdynamic DT 177X headphones.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-beyerdynamic-dt177x-go-headphones
I'll definitely look into these! I've been looking at different beyerdynamic's, but these look really great! Do you know how these would compare to ATH-M50X, is it a huge step up? Would I benefit from using a good dac? Or do you think I could stick with G6 and still would be worth the money?

I used to be a closed headphones person until I tried open. I would recommend the HD58X (they can take serious EQing) to you if you want open. Can't recommend any closed cans now, I have been out of the closed world for too long.

Do invest in a standalone DAC/Amp, nothing fancy but choose headphones that you like first and then find a partner for your HP. Go step by step so you notice and experience all the differences or lack thereof.

Topping, SMSL, Schiit, JDS labs, iFi, and sooooo many others!

It's such a great time now for music lovers as there is so many great sounding affordable options out there, just got to find your own way in it!
Thank you for the advice!
I would probably buy sennheiser at some point, but sadly I probably won't be able to go the open-back way at the moment. I live in a little noisy place sometimes and I don't want to be distracted from people I live with :frowning2: Maybe in the future. I know they have their pros.

May 5, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 15
I'll definitely look into these! I've been looking at different Beyerdynamic's, but these look really great! Do you know how these would compare to ATH-M50X, is it a huge step up? Would I benefit from using a good dac? Or do you think I could stick with G6 and still would be worth the money?
The ATH-M50X are decent sounding, for their price, I can get a Takstar headphone (HD6000) for $80, that are easily their equal.
There are headphones at $160 that will sound better (HD58X).
So yea, the DT177X will be a step up, and plugging them directly into the G6 should be fine.

May 5, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 15
The ATH-M50X are decent sounding, for their price, I can get a Takstar headphone (HD6000) for $80, that are easily their equal.
There are headphones at $160 that will sound better (HD58X).
So yea, the DT177X will be a step up, and plugging them directly into the G6 should be fine.
That sounds great! I hope they dosen't sound like Meze-99 classics and more like M50X, as these are the only two headphones I could compare them with. If they are able to be shipped to EU, DT177X will probably be my next pair of headphones then :)

Thank you 😄

May 5, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 15
You have a decent headphone amp, so you might consider getting the Beyer Dt 1770 Pro they are based on. Will be cheaper than getting the Drop version once you get hit for duties and VAT. They’re on sale from Beyerdyamic direct right now:

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-1770-pro.html

(Same price on Amazon.de if that’s your preference...)

May 5, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 15
You have a decent headphone amp, so you might consider getting the Beyer Dt 1770 Pro they are based on. Will be cheaper than getting the Drop version once you get hit for duties and VAT. They’re on sale from Beyerdyamic direct right now:
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-1770-pro.html (Same price on Amazon.de if that’s your preference...)
Better deal then buying and having the headphone shipped from Massdrop (to Europe).

May 6, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 15

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-1770-pro.html

(Same price on Amazon.de if that’s your preference...)
Better deal then buying and having the headphone shipped from Massdrop (to Europe).
I'm probably gonna order DT 1770 pro instead then! Few questions:

1. So when I get these, I need to put G6 on high gain right?
2. Are there any benefits from choosing high ohm headphones? Will they sound better? I've looked it up, but I don't seem to understand it completely

May 6, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 15
I'm probably gonna order DT 1770 pro instead then! Few questions:

1. So when I get these, I need to put G6 on high gain right?
2. Are there any benefits from choosing high ohm headphones? Will they sound better? I've looked it up, but I don't seem to understand it completely
Depending on how the CL (Creative Labs) G6 delivers it's voltage and current to the 250-Ohm DT1770 Pro, you might(?) be able to use lower then max gain setting.
But yea, guessing you will just use the max gain setting anyway.
FYI, the Massdrop DT177X is 32-Ohm, the DT1770 Pro is 250-Ohm, but not a big deal.
Unless your using a OTL (pure tube) headphone amplifier, or an older receiver, really no reason, for most people to invest in high Ohm headphones.
But usually modern 250-Ohm headphone are not really high power demanding,
Something like the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX or any 600-Ohm headphones are what I would call "High Ohm" headphones.
More so in the past, it made sense to use high Ohm headphones, because of the sources they were plugged into.
But smartphones as sources drive the headphone market now, so low Ohm headphones are what sells.
There are 25-Ohm headphones that sound just as good as high Ohm headphones.

May 7, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 15
Depending on how the CL (Creative Labs) G6 delivers it's voltage and current to the 250-Ohm DT1770 Pro, you might(?) be able to use lower then max gain setting.
But yea, guessing you will just use the max gain setting anyway.
FYI, the Massdrop DT177X is 32-Ohm, the DT1770 Pro is 250-Ohm, but not a big deal.
Unless your using a OTL (pure tube) headphone amplifier, or an older receiver, really no reason, for most people to invest in high Ohm headphones.
But usually modern 250-Ohm headphone are not really high power demanding,
Something like the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX or any 600-Ohm headphones are what I would call "High Ohm" headphones.
More so in the past, it made sense to use high Ohm headphones, because of the sources they were plugged into.
But smartphones as sources drive the headphone market now, so low Ohm headphones are what sells.
There are 25-Ohm headphones that sound just as good as high Ohm headphones.
Thanks for explaining :)

May 7, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 15
I am experimenting with sources myself by exploring some NOS and R2R DAC's. Despite what some say yes DAC's can offer a different flavor or quality of sound. The different chip makers have their own DAC chips like Burr Brown, ESS and AKM which even by itself may add specific characteristics. Then it also heavily depends on how well they are implemented by the engineer who designs the mainboard.
There are lots of options cheap and expensive that sound good and you don't need to spend much to get great sound but someday you more than likely will level up. 😊

M50's are fairly entry level and maybe putting lambskin or suede pads on will improve the sound.

V shape? maybe bag a used TR-X00 and get Dekoni TH900 pads + attenuation ring or even an Argon.
The 177x is also supposed to be good. HD6XX. HD58X are also good but not v-shaped.

Amp: Schiit magni/heresy https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1 Fairly powerful for $99
DAC: Modi https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1
Gamer combo: https://www.schiit.com/products/hel (not as much power)
Other amps: JDS Atom, Liquid spark, JDS Element, THX 789 which is now $300.
Other DAC's: Topping D10 or D30, SMSL SU-8, SDAC-B (balanced)
Combo:Cheap $60 DAC-X6 or Fiio K5 pro

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 15
I am experimenting with sources myself by exploring some NOS and R2R DAC's. Despite what some say yes DAC's can offer a different flavor or quality of sound. The different chip makers have their own DAC chips like Burr Brown, ESS and AKM which even by itself may add specific characteristics. Then it also heavily depends on how well they are implemented by the engineer who designs the mainboard.
There are lots of options cheap and expensive that sound good and you don't need to spend much to get great sound but someday you more than likely will level up. 😊

M50's are fairly entry level and maybe putting lambskin or suede pads on will improve the sound.

V shape? maybe bag a used TR-X00 and get Dekoni TH900 pads + attenuation ring or even an Argon.
The 177x is also supposed to be good. HD6XX. HD58X are also good but not v-shaped.

Amp: Schiit magni/heresy https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1 Fairly powerful for $99
DAC: Modi https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1
Gamer combo: https://www.schiit.com/products/hel (not as much power)
Other amps: JDS Atom, Liquid spark, JDS Element, THX 789which is now $300.
Other DAC's: Topping D10 or D30, SMSL SU-8, SDAC-B (balanced)
Combo:Cheap $60 DAC-X6 or Fiio K5 pro
Thanks for your input.

I've looked into a lot of dac's/amps and especially FiiO K5 pro you listed seems really good to me, I just want a simple (DAC/Amp combo) audiophile setup as possible, hence why I think the K5 pro look good for me. I'll consider buying it in the future, but not sure how it would be compared to G6 I'm currently using. I guess the most important part is the headphones, so guess I'll stick to upgrading the ATH-M50X -> DT1770 for now.

May 7, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks for your input.

I've looked into a lot of dac's/amps and especially FiiO K5 pro you listed seems really good to me, I just want a simple (DAC/Amp combo) audiophile setup as possible, hence why I think the K5 pro look good for me. I'll consider buying it in the future, but not sure how it would be compared to G6 I'm currently using. I guess the most important part is the headphones, so guess I'll stick to upgrading the ATH-M50X -> DT1770 for now.

PM'd you some links for amps on ebay.de and don't count out the DT880, DT990 and DT770. I think the 880 might be good for gaming and the 770 is a bass cannon but I would research that to find the most suitable one for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back