Headphones+DAC+Amp for gaming/music/movies ($500 budget)
Sep 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

raul219

New Head-Fier
I'm starting to realize that this matter of choosing good audio components for my needs is not as easy as it sounds. I've been researching for around two weeks and it seems that every day that passes I add another option to my list. Let's start by saying that I'm starting from zero so I guess that's an advantage. I'm going to use my gaming PC for music (mostly lossless FLAC), non competitive gaming and HD movies. Also I have an HTC One for portable use (when I say portable I mean anytime I'm not in my PC). This is the list of options I have at the moment:

For headphones I'm almost set on the Fidelio X1 which are $290 including the replacement cable. For tyhe last couple of days I've looked at the Q701 as a possible cheaper option at $230. I have a $500 budget but if I can save some money without losing to much quality then I will prefer that. I prefer a neutral sound but some bass would not bother as long as it's not loose.

For DAC/Soundcard + Amp I am completely lost. I had it very clear at first but the I started reading I have some options now which are:
a) Xonar DX + Fiio E11 for around $140. This will give me a decent DAC, decent amp and Dolby Headphones for gaming/movie surround. It would probably be enough but then I would have to charge the amp too many times since I spend a lot of time on my PC. I would also have the option to use the E11 with my HTC One so that's a plus.

b) Sound Blaster Z for around $100. This option would be the easiest to use since it has a decent headphone amp, the same DAC as the Xonar DX and comes with SBX Surround (an alternative to Dolby Headphones). This was my choice for almost a week until I started reading about the high output impedance of the SBZ (around 22 ohms). This would not be a very good pair for low impedance headphones such as the X1 (30 ohms) and to a less extent the Q701 (around 60 ohms). I'm I worrying to much about this?

c) Schiit Stack (Modi and Magni) for $200 plus around $20 for cables. This is definitely the option that would give the best sound quality for music but I would lose the option for surround sound (Dolby or SBX). I really like this option but I don't know how much I would miss Dolby/SBX.

d) Xonar DX + Schiit Magni for around $180 plus cables. Though about this last night. Still get Dolby Headphones and a very good amp that I won't have to be disconnecting and charging to use it all the time.

So this is it. Is there any other combo I could get for around $200? Also, if I go with an internal sound card, are there any disadvantages of using the front panel connector instead of the one on the back of the sound card?

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 12
Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27 and there is a $10 mail in rebate, but only good until midnight tonight.
DG comes with Dolby Headphone 5.1 Surround Sound.
Fiio E17, $140, connect the E17's to the DG using optical.
You can always plug the Philips directly into the DG if the E17 is not available.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 12
  Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27 and there is a $10 mail in rebate, but only good until midnight tonight.
DG comes with Dolby Headphone 5.1 Surround Sound.
Fiio E17, $140, connect the E17's to the DG using optical.
You can always plug the Philips directly into the DG if the E17 is not available.

So I would use the DG as the main sound card on my PC but bypassing its DAC to use the DAC+Amp on the E17 via an optical cable? I guess I would also have to connect the E17 to the PC to keep it powered right? I read somewhere that Dolby Headphones is only available through the headphone jack but I find that weird.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 12
  So I would use the DG as the main sound card on my PC but bypassing its DAC to use the DAC+Amp on the E17 via an optical cable? I guess I would also have to connect the E17 to the PC to keep it powered right?

Yea, have the E17 also connected using USB for power, I believe the E17 can process an optical signal while being powered by the USB, but you might want to double check on that.
I believe the E17 can be powered (and recharged) by the E09K, while the E17 is docked to the E09K.
So I would guess the USB would offer the same, but double check.

It's also possible the Philips will sound just as good plugged directly into the DG, as is would into the E17, maybe?

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 12
So what do you think then? How does the DAC of the the E17 compare with the Xonar DX? And the amp of the E17 vs the E11? I like that with both of these options I get Dolby (when having the E17 + DG) and I could use both the E17 and E11 as portable amps

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 12
  So what do you think then? How does the DAC of the the E17 compare with the Xonar DX? And the amp of the E17 vs the E11? I like that with both of these options I get Dolby (when having the E17 + DG) and I could use both the E17 and E11 as portable amps

Xonar DX has a nice DAC chip CS4398, but it's line-out/headphone jack has a 100-Ohm impedance :frowning2: and no headphone amplifier :frowning2:
E17's WM8740 DAC chip verses the Xonar DX's CS4398 DAC chip?
I would think the CS4398 is the better DAC chip, but have no hard facts to back that up.
The Fiio E11's head amp is a more powerful then the E17's head amp. but I doubt you could notice any difference for headphones under 300-Ohms.
So I guess the Xonar DX/Fiio E11 might be a little better then the Xonar DG/Fiio E17
A used Xonar DX $60?
A new Fiio E11 (with spare battery) $62.99
Xonar DG, after rebate, $18
Fiio E17, used $110?, new $140

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 12
  Xonar DX has a nice DAC chip CS4398, but it's line-out/headphone jack has a 100-Ohm impedance :frowning2: and no headphone amplifier :frowning2:
E17's WM8740 DAC chip verses the Xonar DX's CS4398 DAC chip?
I would think the CS4398 is the better DAC chip, but have no hard facts to back that up.
The Fiio E11's head amp is a more powerful then the E17's head amp. but I doubt you could notice any difference for headphones under 300-Ohms.
So I guess the Xonar DX/Fiio E11 might be a little better then the Xonar DG/Fiio E17
A used Xonar DX $60?
A new Fiio E11 (with spare battery) $62.99
Xonar DG, after rebate, $18
Fiio E17, used $110?, new $140

Yeah lots of options!...guess that's better than having none. I would jump for the DX/E11 if I could use the amp while charging....bummer. The E17 would give me the option to use it continuously without worrying about battery life. I think I'm going to go with the E17/DG. When I think about it, this also gives me the option to use it with my laptop when I travel. It's probably the best option for me.

Now, I'm still kind of undecided between the X1, Q701, and maaaaybe the MA900. Are all of those considered to have similar quality with different characteristics or is one of them just the best of the pack?

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 12
How about DX and FiiO E12? That's a better headphone amp than the E11. Maybe it can be used while charging. And then you would have a headphone amp for portable use. If you go with the Q701s, they really need an amp :)

Otherwise, for maximum audio fidelity, I would vote for the DX/Magni in your budget range.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 12
How about DX and FiiO E12? That's a better headphone amp than the E11. Maybe it can be used while charging. And then you would have a headphone amp for portable use. If you go with the Q701s, they really need an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise, for maximum audio fidelity, I would vote for the DX/Magni in your budget range.

I just read that you can use the E12 while charging. Some people say that there's some interference using it that way so I'm not sure. This even makes me think about going with the E17 also, since it could also have the same problem. Maybe I could get the DX + Magni, get the Q701 over the X1 and also get the E11 with the money I saved from going with the Q701. Somehow I knew I was going to spend more money than I thought when I got into this.....

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 12

I just read that you can use the E12 while charging. Some people say that there's some interference using it that way so I'm not sure. This even makes me think about going with the E17 also, since it could also have the same problem. Maybe I could get the DX + Magni, get the Q701 over the X1 and also get the E11 with the money I saved from going with the Q701. Somehow I knew I was going to spend more money than I thought when I got into this.....

Something that has been said on Head-Fi way too many times.
Sorry about your wallet.

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 12
  Something that has been said on Head-Fi way too many times.
Sorry about your wallet.

Yeah I've heard that before here. Ok I want to decide today about what to buy so I can get the stuff before the weekend. What about the Essence STX and a MA900? Best DAC of the pack and a headphone amp. Coupled with the MA900 I wouldn't have to worry about the card's output impedance because the compensator and it would be very easy to drive for my HTC One.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back