Headphones Consolidation.
Jul 6, 2015 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sionghchan

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

After head-fi introduced me to the wonderful world of headphones, I am finding that I'm at the point where I may have just too many headphones and the decision to pick one to play each time is wearing on me.  As such, I'm starting to think of consolidating down to 1 or 2 full size headphones and 1 IEM.

As such, I'm looking to the wise collective knowledge of head-fiers once again to see if you have any recommendations:

Current collection:

Full Size
Sennheiser HD650 and Momentum On-Ear
Beyerdynamics: DT880 and DT770pro
AKG K701
Sony MDR-SA1000
Alessandro MS1

IEM
Shure e3c
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro

DAC
Peachtree iTx

Amp
Burson HA160

Genre that I listen to most is Classical music and Vocal Jazz.

I am rather interested in selling most of my headphones and consolidating.  I have been recommended Audeze LCD-2 (Fazor) or the Sennheiser HD800 as a full size.  Also, on the IEM side, Noble 4, Westone UM2 or UM3 and Shure 425.

Any help from head-fiers will be greatly appreciated!  Also, live vicariously through me.... you are helping me spend my money. :)

Many thanks in advance!
SC

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 16
Speaking of which sionghchan, maybe you can help me out.
Between your Beyerdynamics  DT880  and AKG K701, which do you consider having the wider soundstage?

For Jazz & Classical, soundstage is definitely the first thing to consider & the Sennheiser HD800 would be the best you can get.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 16
Between your Beyerdynamics  DT880  and AKG K701, which do you consider having the wider soundstage?

For Jazz & Classical, soundstage is definitely the first thing to consider & the Sennheiser HD800 would be the best you can get.

The K 701 is the clear sound stage winner.

However, it is bass lite (from neutral) and its treble is a bit unnatural, somewhat metallic.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 16
Beyer T1 = DT880's bigger brother that went to finishing school. Loved the DT880 and sold it within three weeks of buying the T1. IMO deserves to stand shoulder to shoulder with the HD-800 in most categories (not soundstage width, but holds its own in depth and layering)

I say sell it all but the DAC, pickup a Schiit Ragnarok + T1 + Noble 4 and be done with it.  

Disclaimer: I don't have either the Rag or Noble but one is my planned end game SS amp and the other is on my radar for purchase.

Edit: Would also keep Momentum for full size/easy to drive (travel situations).

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 16
What's your favourite headphone at this point?

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 16
Thank you everyone for your responses everyone! Very useful replies. Just wondering if how close DT880 is to the HD800? However, I do agree that the LCD2 sounds inappropriate. Wonder why the headphone shop I visited recommended those to me. In fact, he even said that the HD800 is close enough to my AKG but just a little better. Maybe I don't bother with upgrading full size headphones but just concentrate on the IEMs. In any case,I do value all your opinions very much. Keep them coming. Thanks!

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 16
What's your favourite headphone at this point?

It depends. For Jazz, I like the HD650 the most. For classical, I tend to gravitate to my Beyer DT880. Occasionally, if the piece is bright, I will use my AKG but I do find these 701's bass to be too light. The DT880's bass is excellent! It doesn't muddy the mid bass region. It has real sub bass while the 701 has more mid bass and not a lot of it.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 16

Both these cans sound roughly the same soundstage wise. 701 may have the advantage however not by much in practical terms. Bass wise, the 701 losses or to the 880. Generally, I still prefer the DT880.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 16
Both these cans sound roughly the same soundstage wise. 701 may have the advantage however not by much in practical terms. Bass wise, the 701 losses or to the 880. Generally, I still prefer the DT880.

In that case I'd go with T1. But you need quality amplifier for it. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 16
I found the T1 sounds fantastic with just about every genre.  My Jazz interests lean towards female jazz vocalists side and I really don't have an expansive classical collection.  But I currently own the HD-650 and formerly the DT880 (at same time as T1) and the T1 brings in some of the HD650 flavor to a DT880 ftonality while being superior to both in technicality and soundstage.  It does however need an amp with decent output at 600 ohm range

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 16

Genre that I listen to most is Classical music and Vocal Jazz.

No doubt, get HD800 for that. Sell your amp too to buy something better for HD800 (don't need to spend too much at the beginning: Vali/Valhalla2/Crack are all good)
But don't think HD800 is suitable for classic only you would be wrong. I listen everything with mine (+bifrost/val2) and I'm very satisfied.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 16
It depends. For Jazz, I like the HD650 the most. For classical, I tend to gravitate to my Beyer DT880. Occasionally, if the piece is bright, I will use my AKG but I do find these 701's bass to be too light. The DT880's bass is excellent! It doesn't muddy the mid bass region. It has real sub bass while the 701 has more mid bass and not a lot of it.

Best chances are you'll like LCD-2 for those genres you like with your HD650.

Really can't talk strictly for the K701 since I own K702 which measures slighlty different in the bass region.
HD800's bass extends nicely but it's not impactful. Haven't done proper blind, level matched tests, but I've felt my K702 often kicks harder than my HD800.
Despite the compartive comment count HD800 on the bass-light side of things.

HD800 while a superb headphone, it's more on the coldish, clinical camp.
The frequency response is very good from my perspective, it's a very neutral headphone, but it doesn't make any favours to the recordings, and then it's not a great all rounder. Great for critical listening, but can be boring with certain music. Some people will come and say, go HD800 with a tube amp, or go modded HD800 (yeah, could be...)

The T1 is like a DT880 with just a tad more bass body and extension, slightly more forward upper mids (1,5 kHz - 2,5 kHz) more like an AKG but less shouty, and slightly bright treble, although less prone to sound sibilant than DT880. Incressed resolution all across the spectrum vs DT880, specially in the bass region. Soundstage on the T1 is frontal, precise and layered. Much better in this regard than my DT880, and even better than my beloved K702.

Push DT880 up in almost every possible way included musicality and you get the T1.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 16
Thank you everyone for your responses everyone! Very useful replies. Just wondering if how close DT880 is to the HD800? However, I do agree that the LCD2 sounds inappropriate. Wonder why the headphone shop I visited recommended those to me. In fact, he even said that the HD800 is close enough to my AKG but just a little better. Maybe I don't bother with upgrading full size headphones but just concentrate on the IEMs. In any case,I do value all your opinions very much. Keep them coming. Thanks!

The DT 880 is Beyer's former flagship.  The T1 is its current flagship and (as already mentioned) it takes qualities of the very good DT 880 and improves essentially all of them. 

The HD 800 is a step better than the T 1, although it may not be to individual taste and will show crappy recordings for what they are.  Both the HD 800 and T 1 can be bright, depending upon what is feeding and driving them.  Well matched and driven, the (now aging) HD 800 is a world class can.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_T1

and

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HD800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back