headphones.com.au, anyone had any experiences with them ?
Nov 22, 2004 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

uber1337coder

New Head-Fier
Thanks to this board, ive decided to go with the HD555's. Searching around I've found www.headphones.com.au to be the cheepest online store in Australia and they seemed nice and specialized. I had a few standardish questions I like to ask all online stores before ordering:

I intend to pay with a credit card, what security is in place on your
site to protect my details ?

What is the procedure if my order is lost or damanged between you and me.

Can you give me more details on the 20 day trial period ?

All fairly standard and they act as a good test; if they dont reply or take days to reply then i know to go elsewhere
cool.gif

I was rather put off by his curt 'go look at the website' styled reply. 5 minutes of effort shouldn't be too much to ask for an almost certain $200 sale.
mad.gif

I've seen a few vague recommendations for ww.headpones.com.au, from members of this forum and i was hoping someone would be willing to share their experiences with this group.

Thanks in Advance

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 21
Why dont you ask Snufkin
biggrin.gif

he is them
smily_headphones1.gif

from what ive heard, 100% positive feedback about him.

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 21
I checked out the prices on that site and they seem outrageous!!! You may be better off just buying stuff on e-bay and eating the shipping from the US. It will be considerably cheaper than buying locally.

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
I checked out the prices on that site and they seem outrageous!!! You may be better off just buying stuff on e-bay and eating the shipping from the US. It will be considerably cheaper than buying locally.

I think the reason for that is because the prices are in AUS, not in US $.

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mxs1030

What, you mean the whole world doesn't trade in $US? *gasp!*

uber1337coder: your questions are answered by the 3rd, 4th and 5th items on the FAQ page and under the CC notes on the purchase page.
Rather than cutting and pasting direct from these pages, or typing out the same answer all over again every time somone asks, they're there for all to see. Seeing as FAQ stands for "frequently asked questions" you'd probably figure they're questions we get asked frequently... which they are
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 21
I've done business with them, it was a positive experience

Nov 22, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 21
Just ordered my MS-2s. Experience has been fantastic so far, and I expect that continue. Snufkin's a champ.

Oh, also, before asking questions, try actually reading the site you are buying from. Usually useful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stornn
Oh, also, before asking questions, try actually reading the site you are buying from. Usually useful.
smily_headphones1.gif

that said, i dont think it's unreasonable for them to answer any questions in full in email.

Nov 22, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mxs1030

I know the prices aren't in US $. If you do a currency conversion, they're still about twice as much as they are in the US.

Nov 22, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
I know the prices aren't in US $. If you do a currency conversion, they're still about twice as much as they are in the US.

Unfortunately, this is one of the issues faced by people outside the US.

First - fluctuating dollar leads to prices rising and dropping.

Second - unfortunately it's not free to get stuff here.

Third - 5% import duty, which doesn't always apply to end-users but always applies to legitimate businesses.

Fourth - 10% GST - see 3rd point.

Fifth - local support and warranty is generally worth something, at least I believe so - not that I charge extra for it.

Sixth - Australia is a small market, the wholesalers here often bump prices up so that the low turnover doesn't kill the product.

Seventh - supporting local business means higher chances of lowering prices and more of a chance of actually being able to buy stuff locally in the first place.

Etc etc, I could go on.

Needless to say - economics aren't black & white.

Nov 22, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 21
Bifcake those prices are not amazing compared to US but thats the downside of living down under.... They compare favourably with other local prices. The Etys and Allesandro and Beyer prices seem good to me.

Nov 22, 2004 at 11:20 AM Post #14 of 21
I have actually met Snufkin and perused his products in his store, and his service is second to none (as well as his products). I found him to be very professional, helpful, and chock full of good advice. I am just glad that he moved his store closer to where I live
tongue.gif

I was going to buy my dt880's from him but then my family surprised me with them as a b'day present (sorry Snufkin. but I sure was glad I didn't have to pay for them myself).

I plan to pick up another pair of phones from him this week (good prices on Alessandro's, very comparable to US prices).

I think it is nice to know that someone can actually put a face to a (mainly) internet store. Hope that this helps, uber.

p.s. Snufkin has always answered my questions, however I did not ask the ones you stated as I live so close to his store! Yes, there are benefits to living in Perth!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back