Headphones: Cheap+Comfortable+Isolating?
Mar 3, 2008 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jo-Vo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

For e-drum practice and recording I'm looking for some closed headphones. They should be comfortable since I may wear them for a long time and effective at blocking out the edrums noise. I don't want to spend lots of money.

Edit: I prefer "Full size" headphones (around the ear) like 595s over smaller on-the-ear-types like porta pros or px100.

Sound isn't that big issue, I guess after
1. Prize
2. Comfort
3. Isolation
there won't be much left to be chosen from, right?
Hoping for your advices, thank you!

Greets
Jonas

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi Jonas,

The problem with affordable closed HPs is that they usually aren't very comfortable over long listening sessions. There's also the issue about what's your "type of sound". Building quality, isolation, and comfort correlate with price.

I'd probably take AudioTechnica M-40fs or D-40fs (these have some "increased bass response") for an affordable (you should find them for less than 80 euros -about 120USD or less-), comfortable enough, low leaking, and very decent sounding option. Rising the expense you open your range to some options from AKG, Beyer, Sony, Sennheiser, etc. which you'd better try first at some pro-audio shop, because it's you who must decide if they're comfortable enough and worth the cost.

Regards.

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nothing will isolate like an IEM, short of headphones over earplugs.

so what are good IEMS? Everyone single one seems to have a flaw (talking about 50-100 dollar ones)

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd probably take AudioTechnica M-40fs or D-40fs (these have some "increased bass response") for an affordable (you should find them for less than 80 euros -about 120USD or less-), comfortable enough, low leaking, and very decent sounding option.

My father has the AudioTechnica M-40fs for his keyboard. The sound is good but I can't borrow them all the time. And they aren't that comfortable for me (OK, compared to my 595s, well...).
And this is also a bit pricey for the "practicing phones".
But it seems as I couldn't get nice phones for cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nothing will isolate like an IEM, short of headphones over earplugs.

I own some Shure E2Cs (I know they don't get a good reputation here) but if I do recording it's often too complicated to get them out of the ears (and back in) when there is something to do at the DAW/computer in the room next door...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard them, but the Beyerdynamic DT 770 M is made for drummers

Yes, they seem to be made specifically for drummers but I've read that they have a heavy overpowering bass. And too expensive...

Thanks for your replies, maybe there are some other options...
Greets
Jonas

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 9
HD-280 can be had between 70-80$, they are full sized, offer more isolation than RP-21 (and better sound) and are MUCH more portable and cheaper than DT-770.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 9
Hehehe, you want it all, but it's difficult finding really comfy closed cans for little money.

Take a look at this site: Musician's friend you'll probably find there some interesting options pricewise, which if you could check at some local shop, you would see if they are comfortable and good sounding enough for your purpose.

Good luck!

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 9
Hello!

Today I've tried the Sennheiser HD201 and found them to be surprisingly comfortable. They are only 21 Euros. But a very "boxy" sound.
Is there anything thats maximum twice the HD201's price with "around the ear"-design and more bass -> nicer sound?

Edit: I just bought the HD201 and they do a good job. Maybe I will look for some HD25 some day.

Greets
Jonas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back