Headphones Changed my Music Taste
Apr 11, 2009 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Oublie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks,

Since i discovered the joys of good headphone listening my musical choices have changed dramatically! Almost a year ago to the day I discovered headfi while i was searching the net for a good pair of wireless surround sound headphones
redface.gif
. At the time there were only two genre's of music that i really listened to those being rock and pop chart. I've been a rock fan all my life the first album i ever bought was AC/DC Back in black which I still love but as I grew older I stayed with Rock and Metal but the odd good chart song also crept into my playlists.

Since joining Headfi I have spent an absolute fortune! I have had and sold the following.

Panasonic Wireless 'Surround Sound' Headphone (this is what i had when i joined)

Ultrasone HFI2200's
Stax SR40
Stax Lambda
Stax Lambda Pro
Stax Lambda Signature
Stax Omega II Mk1 (i have reached the end of my journey I Think
icon10.gif
)

During the last year my music tastes have evolved to the point that my playlist and the cd's i purchase are completely different from what they were in such a short space of time.

a year ago you would have found me browsing the rock section in hmv of whereever and today you are more likely to find me in the folk, blues or classical sections with the odd bit of jazz.

I've essentially moved from hard hitting thrashing rock to light delecate female vocals, classical guitar and soulful blues.

The reason for this is the headphones i am wearing or have worn in the past year. They allowed me to appreciate an entire world of music which was previously closed to me. It wasn't that i disliked these other music genre's it was more a case of not truly being able to appreciate them. The music i listened to was and still is great but because of the style of a lot of it the source wasn't as important. (wait to be attack by a metal head).

I would just like to thank everyone at headfi for their advice and information. I'm not going anywhere but after a year here I thought the best place to say thanks was at the core i.e. what really matter - THE MUSIC
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 30
Wow. You've made huge advances with your headphones in such short time and beyond what I will ever accomplish.

Up until the mid 90's I listened to mainly hard rock then slowly began to shift towards mostly jazz, then added a huge variety when I began to get back into headphones in the late 90's.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 30
With better gear you gravitate to better music, always trying to find out what sounds good with the gear. I still listen to junk rock, you know stuff you find on the radio. But now I sprinkle a little Alison Krauss, Adele, Hugh Masakela to the mix.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 30
like the saying goes here....

"Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet"

biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 30
You're not alone!
smile.gif

More of us have got our eyes open for different music after we got high quality headphones, and related gear.

Sorry about your wallet!

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Folks,

Since i discovered the joys of good headphone listening my musical choices have changed dramatically! Almost a year ago to the day I discovered headfi while i was searching the net for a good pair of wireless surround sound headphones
redface.gif
. At the time there were only two genre's of music that i really listened to those being rock and pop chart. I've been a rock fan all my life the first album i ever bought was AC/DC Back in black which I still love but as I grew older I stayed with Rock and Metal but the odd good chart song also crept into my playlists.

Since joining Headfi I have spent an absolute fortune! I have had and sold the following.

Panasonic Wireless 'Surround Sound' Headphone (this is what i had when i joined)

Ultrasone HFI2200's
Stax SR40
Stax Lambda
Stax Lambda Pro
Stax Lambda Signature
Stax Omega II Mk1 (i have reached the end of my journey I Think
icon10.gif
)

During the last year my music tastes have evolved to the point that my playlist and the cd's i purchase are completely different from what they were in such a short space of time.

a year ago you would have found me browsing the rock section in hmv of whereever and today you are more likely to find me in the folk, blues or classical sections with the odd bit of jazz.

I've essentially moved from hard hitting thrashing rock to light delecate female vocals, classical guitar and soulful blues.

The reason for this is the headphones i am wearing or have worn in the past year. They allowed me to appreciate an entire world of music which was previously closed to me. It wasn't that i disliked these other music genre's it was more a case of not truly being able to appreciate them. The music i listened to was and still is great but because of the style of a lot of it the source wasn't as important. (wait to be attack by a metal head).

I would just like to thank everyone at headfi for their advice and information. I'm not going anywhere but after a year here I thought the best place to say thanks was at the core i.e. what really matter - THE MUSIC
bigsmile_face.gif

Quite possibly the most enlightening post I've encountered on Head-fi....esoteric...warm...geniune...I envy your revelation.

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 30
Never really thought about it, until reading your post, but I am doing the same thing. Listen to rock all of my life, Back in Black is a classic BTW, but have been frequently switching to Jazz and acoustic a lot lately. Quality listening from good cans must make you want quality music.

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 30
personally i'd attribute the change more to the community you are a part of and the audiophile mentality.
I'm very glad you are enjoying a larger amount of genres now
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 30
For me I too change genre of music, which may or may not be a good thing. The reason is sometimes to do with headphones and sometimes the amp. It has to do with subtle advantage/disadvantage in timing, bass, quality of recording etc. Thus over time we move towards music that is good for the equipments..… However I personally feel that one should have true freedom of choice rather than being subtly steered (or dictate) by ones gears.

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 30
The best thing that this hobby did for me was to open my eyes to the number of genres there are out there. I used to think everyone listens to the radio.
redface.gif

Now I never put down a genre/singer/band before I actually listen to it. It's been a very enlightening experience. That said, I still do listen to my normal (radio-friendly) pop/rock.

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best thing that this hobby did for me was to open my eyes to the number of genres there are out there.

Now I never put down a genre/singer/band before I actually listen to it. It's been a very enlightening experience.

+1, I feel the same. Great original post btw, nice to see your transformation in gear and listening preferences. It's fun experimenting with various genres of quality music.

Enjoy the tunes.

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #14 of 30
I was in to many genres of music before joining headfi and can't say I've started liking anything I didn't like before, but I'm more into trying different remasters ect. I appreciate good recordings, but if I don't like the music I don't like the music.

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 30
For me, the change in music taste is not really connected to the HPs as such, but the degradation of my hearing. I still love metal music, but since I prefer it at ear-splitting levels (and I already have slight permanent tinnitus and some hearing loss) I now prefer less loud music. My favourite live music venue these days are small jazz clubs where nothing is amplified. What I listen to in speakers and phones goes in the same lines...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back