Headphones causing interference
Jan 27, 2006 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

discochan

Head-Fier
Ever since I got my Rega Ear I when I plug my headphones in I can hear some interference. Basically some low level humming and such that drives me crazy.

Anyways in my quest to get rid of it I noticed that when I have my headphone cable just hanging the level of interference is high. However when I put the cable on the table the interference is almost gone. Basically if the majority of the cable is at the same height level or higher of the amp, interference is almost gone.

Does this mean my cables are messed? Is this normal?

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 19
Strange. Looks like some weird capacitance phenomenon or RF pickup. Try a ferrite clip on both ends of the cable, does that help in any way?

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 19
No I moved my cellphone to another part of the room, and theres still that wierd interference.
Where do I buy ferrite clips? I googled it and all I came up with was places that make you buy in bulk

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 19
Microwave or Wireless LAN? My wireless LAN interfere my amp, I had to put two sheets of tins in between my amp and the wireless access point to block off the interference.

Jan 30, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 19
Isn't wireless LAN in the Gigaherz range? Or you are talking about the 60Hz line interference? On second thought, the system might radiate other frequencies in the audible range, one needs to study the circuitry before have a good understanding of the problem.

To discochan: If you know what 60Hz sound like, you can compare it with the hum you were hearing.

p.s the harmonics of AC line can be significant too. such as 120Hz, etc....

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Isn't wireless LAN in the Gigaherz range? Or you are talking about the 60Hz line interference? On second thought, the system might radiate other frequencies in the audible range, one needs to study the circuitry before have a good understanding of the problem.

To discochan: If you know what 60Hz sound like, you can compare it with the hum you were hearing.

p.s the harmonics of AC line can be significant too. such as 120Hz, etc....

Now that I listen to it, it does kind of sound in the 60hz range. I am using wireless lan in my room. I'm going to a hi-fi store today to pick up some stuff, Ill ask them if they have any recommendations.

Ill share anything insightful

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 19
it is likely you are experiencing a ground loop problem. Does your Rega Ear have a 3-prong AC plug?

One thing you can try is to wrap the cable in some metal foil and ground the metal foil to earth ground (either from the wall outlet, or if you want a safer way, on the chassis of the amplifier, assume that is properly grounded), then see if the interferece goes away or not.

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 19
Man after looking at the Rega Ear its only a 2 prong plug, so does that mean I cant really ground the amp.

Thanks for all the help by the way everyone I really appreciate this

Jan 31, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 19
I just refresh my mind on ground loop, it seems not having a ground prong doesn't matter much, in fact you do not want the earth ground to mess with the amp chassic. What you want is to have the RCA input jacks ground connections tied to the metal chassis, check if that's done on your amp.

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I just refresh my mind on ground loop, it seems not having a ground prong doesn't matter much, in fact you do not want the earth ground to mess with the amp chassic. What you want is to have the RCA input jacks ground connections tied to the metal chassis, check if that's done on your amp.

When I take apart my amp, what exactly should I be looking for. To see it the RCA jacks have any physical connections to the chassis?

CRAFTECH: Ill try that thanks.

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 19
I just took apart the amp and soldered a thin wire from the rca jacks to the chassis. This helped some but theres will some humming.

I'm going to try to find another 120v to 24v plug. It sucks because Rega is from England, hopefully it wont be hard to find another plug

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by discochan
I'm going to try to find another 120v to 24v plug. It sucks because Rega is from England, hopefully it wont be hard to find another plug

Actually you have 230 volt 50 Hz Mains there. I almost forgot. How about one of these. Look at the adapter and match up the specs:

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/su...o?cacheID=ukie

Or ARE you in the UK? If not then Radio Shack.
Just don't get a 24 volt [ DC ] adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back