Headphones capable of holographic imaging?
Sep 27, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Well, some of the really high-end headphones have an above average soundstage...but I think all headphones have a tiny soundstage compared to even the most modest speakers. The Abyss AB-1266, HIFIMAN HE1000, and Sennheiser HD 800 are among the better models for this, but again, they're not cheap. I haven't heard the most expensive STAX, but I'd say that entry-level STAX has slightly inferior imaging to the aforementioned models. (But superior transparency, in my opinion.)

There are also headphones that rest further away from your ears and thus have an even larger soundstage. Headphones of this type include the AKG K1000, Precide ERGO AMT, QUAD Jecklin Float QA, Sennheiser Surrounder, and STAX SR-Sigma. If you want ultimate soundstage in headphones, you'll probably want to opt for one (or more) of them...though they're far less common, so you'll have to do some searching if you want to audition them before making up your mind.

Here's an interesting tidbit you may not have expected:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/aes-headphone-technology-conference-highlight-paper

Turns out that while headphone imaging is inside the head, it has been found to be more precise than speakers. In the plot above, speakers at 3 meters (normal room listening), speakers at 1 meter (near field listening), and headphones were evaluated for the ability to precisely locate a sound within the normal stereo image.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 11
  Well, some of the really high-end headphones have an above average soundstage...

Yes but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's more holographic. I have two headphones right now, modded he500 and ether. Between them I'd say hifiman has bigger soundstage but ether wins easily in the imaging department. Which one is better is subjective but I prefer the ether. Size is not what I carve but realism and that quote from the article plays pretty well to my pocket

And the AKG above looks sick. Would want to test it

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 11

The HE1000 and Abyss seem to be more holographic to my ears. But like I said, every headphone I've heard just sounds really tiny compared to speakers...though I happen to prefer that more intimate presentation.

Ok thanks. A little surprised you mentioned those over hd800. I kind of like the feeling when the sound is around me rather than just coming from the front. I live in a small apartment with thin walls so small stereo monitor setup is the best I could do with speakers. Do you feel that you also get deeper soundstage from speakers?

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 11
  Ok thanks. A little surprised you mentioned those over hd800. I kind of like the feeling when the sound is around me rather than just coming from the front. I live in a small apartment with thin walls so small stereo monitor setup is the best I could do with speakers. Do you feel that you also get deeper soundstage from speakers?

What's strange is that the HD 800 did not sound nearly as large or holographic as people make it out to be. I could sense more things coming from above, behind, etc. on the HE1000, for example. The Abyss has a unique spaciousness too, but I didn't spend enough time with it to hear what it's really capable of.

If you're considering headphones that cost this much, definitely go out and audition them at meets or shops. You could also borrow them from The Cable Company.

I think that second category of headphones I listed is what you should go after, though. The AKG K1000 is in that photo above.

You kiddin'? Of course speakers have a deeper soundstage. You're comparing a few inches to dozens of feet here. But if you're comparing headphones to near-field monitor speakers on a desktop, it won't be as dramatic of a difference.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Another headphone worth looking into (that I'm really curious to try) is the TAKET H2+.

http://www.taket.jp/h2/h2.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/242385/the-worlds-best-headphone-the-taket-h2-review-lots-of-pictures
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566268/taket-bpp-portable-supertweeter-and-h2-headphone-head-fi-tv-episode-010

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 11

Not sure if you are trying to help or make me look stupid. Just looked what that list actually looks like and the sennheiser is especially wonky. Interesting things and would want to hear but those are not for me. I like simple things

I came across Taket while ago but didn't look into it. Now I did. I could see myself buying that some day if money builds up but right now I want to finish my main (normal) rig. Glad you posted the links tho

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 11
  Not sure if you are trying to help or make me look stupid. Just looked what that list actually looks like and the sennheiser is especially wonky. Interesting things and would want to hear but those are not for me. I like simple things

I came across Taket while ago but didn't look into it. Now I did. I could see myself buying that some day if money builds up but right now I want to finish my main (normal) rig. Glad you posted the links tho

Don't worry, I was genuinely trying to help by mentioning some headphones with the largest soundstages. I did not take aesthetics into consideration. The Sennheiser Surrounder isn't really a headphone, since it rests on your shoulders, but it does have a larger soundstage, so I thought it was worth mentioning as well.

Also...virtual surround sound processors can increase the soundstage and holographic imaging of headphones. The most reputed one is the Smyth Realiser, which can emulate the sound of any speaker system you can measure...but there are much more affordable alternatives. The free ones I've tried (just software instead of physical devices) weren't very good, though.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 11

Don't worry, I was genuinely trying to help by mentioning some headphones with the largest soundstages. I did not take aesthetics into consideration. The Sennheiser Surrounder isn't really a headphone, since it rests on your shoulders, but it does have a larger soundstage, so I thought it was worth mentioning as well.

Also...virtual surround sound processors can increase the soundstage and holographic imaging of headphones. The most reputed one is the Smyth Realiser, which can emulate the sound of any speaker system you can measure...but there are much more affordable alternatives. The free ones I've tried (just software instead of physical devices) weren't very good, though.

Yeah I was just joking. From what I understand you can mess with the soundstage within the source. For example there are some binaural recordings. But the headphones need to be able to reproduce it as well as possible. I have done the virtual barber shop with both he500 and ether and I feel it worked better with ether. For now my plan is wait for the ether upgrade and find a decent amp that suits me.

There was something about the smyth that didn't sit well with me. The files needed to have more channels than 2.0 or something..? Sure there is always a way around everything but like I said I like simple things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back