Headphones Can't do Bass = Fail?
Sep 18, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #31 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But won't I miss the bass when I play games and watch movies?
Music is only around 20% for me, in usage.

I just don't know if I even really want that kind of power and impact.
My friend says it's important, but what if the kind of bass that headphones can provide is just enough for me.
All questions I can't answer..

We really can't answer them either.

A lot people who are out in the deep end forget that listening for base is something you subconsciously train. Some people just can't do it.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #32 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always duct tape a pair of subwoofers to your ears...

(I bear no responsibility)

It's "arse", not "ears".

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #33 of 87
Quote:

I My friend says it's important, but what if the kind of bass that headphones can provide is just enough for me.
All questions I can't answer..

That's really a question only you can answer. No one knows how much you like bass better than you!

What kind of headphones has your friend listened to? I would imagine that he hasn't listened to many good ones as cheap headphones generally have bad bass.

Here's a cheap way to find out if headphones are right for you.

Go to your local radio shack or go to amazon.com. Look for Koss KSC-75. These are clip on earphones that are very highly regarded among us headphone enthusiasts. They are about $20 and are probably one of the best values in audio.They have have decent bass response, certainly better than that of cheap headphones. Try them with your games and music and see if you like them.

If you like the KSC-75's, great! You can start looking at other headphones if you want improvement. If you don't really, tell us what you don't like about them and we can help you out.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #34 of 87
I have Darth Beyers.
Got bass?
basshead.gif

I have to be careful what I listen to with the Darths -- listen to something with some surprise bass-slam (explosion, for instance, oe even a kettle drum or kick drum, sometimes) with a bit too much volume for the unexpected experience, and your head WILL feel it.
We won't even TALK about what your eardrums will feel!
Ever had your ears "boxed"?
Been there, done that -- much more careful now.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #35 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's "arse", not "ears".

I don't remember the name, but I remember seeing a device somewhere on the net, that you sit on, to "feel the bass".
Like sitting on a sub-woofer enclosure, I think.
For gamers, of course.

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #36 of 87
I think that headphones aren't made for "feeling" bass. They are made for hearing bass. Even most bassy headphones will not give you "arsequake" needed in movie/games, because headphone drivers are unable to make volume that make feeling like this, without blowing ears.

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #37 of 87
My headphones certainly got bass. Especially the SR-007 and 4070...
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #38 of 87
don't bother with the K501. i suspect you will not like them. although despite their bass shyness, i would not exactly call them failures, as they do a lot of other things very well.

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #39 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't remember the name, but I remember seeing a device somewhere on the net, that you sit on, to "feel the bass".
Like sitting on a sub-woofer enclosure, I think.
For gamers, of course.

One such device is the "Buttkicker"

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #41 of 87
Quote:

But won't I miss the bass when I play games and watch movies?
Music is only around 20% for me, in usage.

Almost the only times I've experienced the bass getting "in the way" is when watching movies. They all seem to have excessive bass, people's voices sometimes sound like they'd been artificially darkened, making it hard to hear the dialogue. I can't imagine why people would want more of this
blink.gif

I mean, surely, you watch a movie for its story and not for the effects... right?

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #42 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilmari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost the only times I've experienced the bass getting "in the way" is when watching movies. They all seem to have excessive bass, people's voices sometimes sound like they'd been artificially darkened, making it hard to hear the dialogue. I can't imagine why people would want more of this
blink.gif

I mean, surely, you watch a movie for its story and not for the effects... right?

Since movies are a visual and audio medium, the visual and audio effects are part of the telling of the story. A decent surround sound system can really add to the immersiveness of a movie. Yes the bass can be over done sometimes and in some movies I'm constantly lowering the volume and then raising it again after the bassy event, but I'd rather watch most movies with it than without.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #43 of 87
Get Darth Beyers from Headphile. They are modified Beyerdynamic DT770 (model that is already known for its bass quantity, much more than HD650), and according to owners have even more bass and in better quality too.

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #45 of 87
I can't believe no one mentioned a transducer. You install it to your chair or sofa and wire it in and *BOOM*. You feel every vibration of the sound. This is exactly what you'd want, not any more sound distortion from a subwoofer.

Heres a link: http://www.clarksynthesis.com/

Install them in chairs like these:

http://www.gamechairs.com/Video-Game...er-C77025.html

Or put them in your backpack for a portable rig! haha
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back