Headphones Cable Storage Questions
Feb 7, 2014 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

d3nn

New Head-Fier
Hey, guys. I just got into Hi-Fi a few months ago with my first decent pair of headphones, a pair of grados sr60i. Lately I've been wondering how I should store them when I'm not using them. I've searched around the web and this forum, but I've received some mixed & old messages. I know this is an absolutely noobish question, but I'm a poor student so I really care about keeping my equipment working for as long as possible.
I have a ton of desk space, and I'm wondering if leaving the cable in a huge square-ish loop (for some reason that's the way it naturally curves, possibly because I was storing it in oblong loops for awhile) or using the over-under method is best for storing it. I feel like just one big loop will give the least tension, but I've read a lot about adding tension memory to the cable or something and I don't want that. Or maybe I'm missing some other preferred way to store it?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 6
I have a ton of desk space, and I'm wondering if leaving the cable in a huge square-ish loop (for some reason that's the way it naturally curves, possibly because I was storing it in oblong loops for awhile) or using the over-under method is best for storing it. I feel like just one big loop will give the least tension, but I've read a lot about adding tension memory to the cable or something and I don't want that. Or maybe I'm missing some other preferred way to store it?

A big round loop at least three but preferably more than four inches in diameter.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Found the source: "If you invest in a quality cable, treat it as such for long life. Headphile cables should not be bundled, wrapped in a figure eight, wrapped around headphones, twisted over or kinked at right angles. Storage of cable should only be circular, no less than 3-4" circumference." (http://www.headphile.com/page6.html)

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 6
Okay, here's my new setup. Just circular.

(the circumference is definitely >4")

Looks good. It seems that the best way to tie it (if you need to) is some thin velcro straps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back