Headphones better than M50 under 150 dollars
Feb 9, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #31 of 49
The grado 60's or 80's are also pretty good from what I hear. The M50's are regarded for their bang/buck ratio ,but aren't the best cans out there. If you spend more you'll get more out. 

Athoughthis is true, remember that "hobbies" like this obey the law of deminishong returns

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #33 of 49
I've never tried the NVX but the V-Moda headphones are pretty decent. As for the price, I'm not too sure, the Crossfade LP are good but I think you may be able to find something just as good at $130+ 

Those NVX do look like they can give some other phones a run for their money. I'm a pretty active person so I look for phones that can move with me so those are out of the question for me. They come with some pretty generous extras though. It's a tough rock. Look at it from your wallets perspective and value. NVX with a $40 amp or just V-Moda. Also, think about durability, V-Moda are pretty solid but have a small short coming but have metal construction IIRC but NVX have plastics.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #35 of 49
M50 aren't horrible at all, they are a solid choice under $150. It's nicely balanced with a slightly forward bass and treble response
Good fun to listen to, and I've listened to my fair share of high-end headphones
There's few headphones in that price range that provide as enjoyable listening experience as the M50

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #36 of 49
  M50 aren't horrible at all, they are a solid choice under $150. It's nicely balanced with a slightly forward bass and treble response
Good fun to listen to, and I've listened to my fair share of high-end headphones
There's few headphones in that price range that provide as enjoyable listening experience as the M50

Yeah, nothing wrong with them. I've heard them and I enjoyed, and I'm getting the M50x for my first pair. I guess there is just a stigma when it comes to those on Head-fi. You usually see "M50s suck, you can get so many other cans" You can always go more expensive but that's the point, they're not bad for $150.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #37 of 49
"You can always go more expensive but that's the point, they're not bad for $150."

The point of this thread is to find better options for cheaper, which apparently there are now that the m50s had a price bump and new cans are out.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #38 of 49
  Yeah, nothing wrong with them. I've heard them and I enjoyed, and I'm getting the M50x for my first pair. I guess there is just a stigma when it comes to those on Head-fi. You usually see "M50s suck, you can get so many other cans" You can always go more expensive but that's the point, they're not bad for $150.

M50x are going to be great with Nujabes :wink:

AsianInvasion: NVX Audio XPT100 are supposedly a great choice (I havent given them a listen yet) - they'll provide a differnet sonic sig for sure

To get a much greater experience, you'll have to step up your price range. Something like a DT880 and AKG Q701 + amp/dac will blow you away. M50x are a pretty great choice in that price. Works well with the music you listen to.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #40 of 49
Thats what i want to do eventually, cant really afford to yet though

I can vouch for the Q701. To be honest, I would save a bit more, or look in the classified section of this forum. I found my Q701 on a classified listings website for $40AUD, (which I also bought along with my mechanical Filco keyboard for $50) which is a steal. If you're patient, deals will come. 
The Q701 does sound amazing, and even unamped, I think it sounds better then the HM5, but the best thing is, it can only get better with amping. So if you save now, get the Q701, save a bit later, you can see it as a medium length (time wise) investment.
Note, that the Q701 does lack a bit of bass, but that can be fixed with a mod that is easily done and found on the forums and in the Q701 or the K701 appreciation thread

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #42 of 49
The mod is very easy to do. All it involves, is removing the cover of the Q701, then just using a pair of tweezers to remove a piece of cloth or sticker, and that's it.
I doubt that you'll break the headphones, or be at any risk since it's that simple, but warranty is another matter, not sure if it voids warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back