Headphones better than hd495 for uni
Jul 15, 2008 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tranhieu

Member of the Trade: DIY Amp Builder - AKA kytuphicanh
Caution: Incomplete Sales
Hi all

First time posting here, as I really need advice from you guys, I’m just a newbie. Besides, english is not my 1st language, so excuse me for any mistake that arises.
biggrin.gif

Next year will be my last year in high school, so I want a new pair of hp that can help easing my soul after hours of doing donkey work at school (you cant believe how horrible asian high schools are!).

Right now I’m having a pair of hd 495 and a xmod. However I want to try some new thing (those 2 did a really good job), but I don’t know what to choose.

My budget is around 300-400 usd. I often listen from my laptop at home so portability is none of my concern.

I really like the idea of having k701 and emu 0202, but, I still wonder if that amp might be ‘enough’ to drive that wonderful cans. Or I might just buy the k701 first, plug it into the xmod, and save the money for a sufficient amp later then (maybe after the uni
biggrin.gif
).

Or for the unamped choice, I’m still weighting between the sr80, hd595, and the beyer dt250 (this one can go unamped, cant it?). But I heard from somewhere that my hd495 can nearly match the sr80?

My genres include pop (mostly, easy-listening ones), vocal, instrumental. I hardly listen to rock or hip hop (so I don’t like the sr80 very much) .

So, my question is that: should I buy the k701 with the emu0202, or buy the cans first, save the amp for later? Or should I go with the unamped choice, hence which one is better for my needs? As I want to use these cans (and amp) in the long run, at least 4,5 years.

I heard that the zero amp can drive the hd650, so can it go with the k701?

Thanks for reading
This forum is so wonderful, full of great people
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 9
IMO I would go for HD580/600s since they are easier to drive. And for the rest of your budget save up for a good amp like the little dot mk line of amps.

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 9
You mean I can drive those hd600/580 directly from my laptop without losing much?

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 9
NOps... Laptop cannot drive HD600/580 ..although HD595 can with EMU 0202.

What you will need with HD600 is a headphone amp or smthg like EMU 0202 atleast.

My answer is based on my short experience with these big boys..in the showroom they are always amped.

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 9
This may sound dull, but can you recommend any good amp under 150usd that can be connected to my laptop?

As I cant see any usb input in the little dot 2 and they use the rca jacks, can I use the rca jacks- 3.5mm plug adapter to connect it with my old xmod? As the little dot costs the same as the emu 0202 in uk ebay
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Maybe checkout the Zero DAC in the fullsize amps section? I'm not sure how powerful it is, as I'm only amping my D2000s and they are easier to drive. You may want to search that thread for info.

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 9
For me ..i am unable to find a decent pair of Headphone amps... went to a Professional Audio store..the guy had Amps which cost $400 (bad for beginner like me)..and they had multiple jacks.. which is unnecessary for me.

and didnt seem to be of any popular brand.

Can i find Headphone amps on eBay?

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 9
I'd read the zero thread long before opening this thread. I just wonder is there any way I can connect it to my laptop.

Besides, as the mk 2 a tube amp and it cost equally as the zero does, is it better in any measure? As I heard from somewhere the tube amp sounds really good.

I just need an amp around 150$ and it shouldn't be too complicated. I'm not an expert either
biggrin.gif

Yes, sure you can. I found the emu 0202,0404 (usb version), zero, mk 2 there.

Can these be counted as head amp?

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 9
yes, the zero can be connected via USB, you will just need to get a box that converts USB to either optical (toslink) or coax

they can be found from about $30 and they can also get a lot more expensive, im not really sure the difference, hopefully somone else can help you out on that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back