Headphones best for metal and rock?
Jul 20, 2014 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

derpydum

New Head-Fier
this is my first post so here's my story.

closest thing to "high end audio" that I had ever heard were a pair of beats mixrs (please dont stone me) that i had bought in early 2013 and after a while of listening to  friends and random people all over the internet (very much including these forums) promote and praise the AudioTechnica ATH-M50's, I finally ordered a pair and I love them. I do realize that they aren't necessarily the best for metal though, and being that metal is mostly what i listen to (including rnb, hip hop, dubstep, rock, alternative, punk, etc. i have a broad taste ahaha) 
I'm finally looking for something abit louder and faster with a little more energy to fit.

I've read alot about Grado headphones,  especially on these forms,  and they seem ideal but on-ear phones aren't my favorite  and I don't know which ones would fit me best plus its somewhat a leap of faith being I've never experienced open back phones.

anyway,I'm open to pretty much any recommendation but my budget can't exceed 350$
also, if i sounded stupid in any way, i apologize. I do enjoy audio and I value high quality, But I have no audiophile knowledge whatsoever and I do hope to gain some. thanks.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 13
only problem is, i cant really find any locally or whatnot (i live in south alabama. we dont have much. audiophile is like a non existent term here xD) so i'd have to take a jump and order them.  i also dont know which ones would be best. what do you think?

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 13
I haven't heard the new "e" models and don't know much about them other than they sound difference and some might like the "e" series better, some the "i". But the primary differences between the SR80i and the SR225i are heavier duty cable, better matched drivers, and different pads. The pads making the most difference (which can be changed).

You might want to talk with the Grado Fan Club thread as that's where you are most likely to find people with experience with the new models. http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 13
You may want to check out the Shure SRH440 and SRH840. Both are 'faster' headphones and have much clearer/better mids then the ATH-M50s. The ATH-M50s have better sub-bass, but the Shures' bass is cleaner and doesn't bleed into the soundstage like the M50s. Also, I recommend the SRH840 ear pads with the SRH440s. In stock form, the 440s can have very agressive/forward highs and lack bass. The SRH840 pads usually fixes this. I say usually because not all 440s take too well to the 840 ear pad mod and/or not everyone likes the sound with the 840 pads. I have owned several pairs of the 440s and can say that not all take too well to the 840 pad mod. You can find out more info in the "Shure SRH440 Impression" thread.

I also wrote a comparision of the ATH-M50 and the SRH440 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/712506/shure-srh-440-w-hpaec840-pads-vs-audio-technica-ath-m50#post_10446030

You may also want to look into the AKG K272 HD. I recently discovered these and I like these headphones quite a bit, in fact I like them more than the SRH840s, but I modded mine by removing the stock foam disk and replacing it with the larger Beyerdynamic ones. I felt that the stock foam disk gave it a somwehat muffled sound. Also, IMO the K272 need a decent amp to drive them to get the most out of them. They have less bass (quantity) then the ATH-M50s, and slightly less then the SRH840s. The bass control, articulation and sub-bass is better than the 840s, and while not louder than the M50s, it has a much clearer overall sound with alot of depth. If you are not into modding, I would suggest the SRH840s.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 13
V-Moda M-100.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 13
  You may want to check out the Shure SRH440 and SRH840. Both are 'faster' headphones and have much clearer/better mids then the ATH-M50s. The ATH-M50s have better sub-bass, but the Shures' bass is cleaner and doesn't bleed into the soundstage like the M50s. Also, I recommend the SRH840 ear pads with the SRH440s. In stock form, the 440s can have very agressive/forward highs and lack bass. The SRH840 pads usually fixes this. I say usually because not all 440s take too well to the 840 ear pad mod and/or not everyone likes the sound with the 840 pads. I have owned several pairs of the 440s and can say that not all take too well to the 840 pad mod. You can find out more info in the "Shure SRH440 Impression" thread.

I also wrote a comparision of the ATH-M50 and the SRH440 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/712506/shure-srh-440-w-hpaec840-pads-vs-audio-technica-ath-m50#post_10446030

You may also want to look into the AKG K272 HD. I recently discovered these and I like these headphones quite a bit, in fact I like them more than the SRH840s, but I modded mine by removing the stock foam disk and replacing it with the larger Beyerdynamic ones. I felt that the stock foam disk gave it a somwehat muffled sound. Also, IMO the K272 need a decent amp to drive them to get the most out of them. They have less bass (quantity) then the ATH-M50s, and slightly less then the SRH840s. The bass control, articulation and sub-bass is better than the 840s, and while not louder than the M50s, it has a much clearer overall sound with alot of depth. If you are not into modding, I would suggest the SRH840s.

The Shure SRH840's look appealing but I'm wondering if they'd be better for metal than the 225is?Because that's my main goal for the next pair of phones I get ,and everyone seems to say wonders about the grados. And I feel FAR too green in this to start modding 
biggrin.gif
 It'd suck to buy some and destroy them being I have no idea what I'm doing, and I don't carry enough knowledge or exp on the subject to even consider trying yet. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 13
Since you already have the M50s, I'd definitely give the Grados a try for metal/rock. M-100s are a bass heavy headphone. Really not optimum for rock and metal unless you know you want that.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 13
Since you already have the M50s, I'd definitely give the Grados a try for metal/rock. M-100s are a bass heavy headphone. Really not optimum for rock and metal unless you know you want that.

Grado's  are #1 on my list at the moment. But I'm trying to figure out 225i or e or 325i or e, and how the G cushions would affect the sound or if they're worth the extra cost. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 13
My understanding is that the biggest difference between the 325i and 225i is extra treble in the latter, likely due to the metal cups vs plastic cups. I think the 225i are plenty bright enough for most people, so between those two, unless you are a big treble head, I would imagine the 225i would work well for you :)

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 13
Why do you say? My friend has m-80's (I know they aren't the same) and it's been a while but they felt really cheap on my ears, but otherwise had a good sound.

My V-Moda M-100's are my go-to headphones for rock music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back