Headphones based on speaker preference
Dec 13, 2015 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

duke777

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but has anyone drawn connection between speaker preferences and headphone choices? For example I have B&W speakers but don't like their headphones. I also like old Kefs 104.2, paradigms and PSBs would i like Hifiman 400s or Grado SR325E, NAD HP50 or OPPO 3? I can't decide and where i live i cannot listen to these to test them

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but has anyone drawn connection between speaker preferences and headphone choices? 

Those who like lower range Focals tend to like Grado for example. Focal Access (car) is roughly a lot like the SR60, Polyglass and Chorus 600/700 are roughly like the RS-1. I like Dynaudio and B&W, so very roughly, AKG and Sennheiser.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for that. I've never heard AKG, but liked the momentum 2 over the ears almost as much as the PSB m4u2 maybe would have liked them more if they sealed/fit a little better. Your input has given some new insight on the momentums since they can be had on ebay for <$100. That may be the way to go with my first set of headphones. thanks

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 5
So I went for the Momentum (1) over the ear - got it for $85. I had listened to the M2 and was impressed not overwhelmed but just liked them. The M1s have the same driver as the m2s so i figured for 84 bux i cannot lose. so with the extra green in my pocket i bought the Philips x2 through Amazons $200 deal. they werent even on my radar - What.? hope i like them -  seems to be some polarity in the reviews.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 5
  Thanks for that. I've never heard AKG, but liked the momentum 2 over the ears almost as much as the PSB m4u2 maybe would have liked them more if they sealed/fit a little better.

Note that I meant that in a very general sense, referring mostly to the K7-- (and to a lesser extent the K50- and K6--) series as similar to somewhat similar to Dynaudio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back