Headphones banned!
Mar 11, 2006 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sniks7

100+ Head-Fier
This might amuse the english contingent.. There should be a picture here. Any guesses as to the headphones?!

Rio Ferdinand is the first victim of a technology clampdown launched by Sir Alex Ferguson.
The Manchester United manager wants to ban his players from using MP 3 players, headphones and other gadgets in the changing rooms before matches.
And the England centre-back was the first fall guy under Fergie’s new rules. Ferguson expects his players to switch all electronics off once they are preparing for a match inside the dressing room.
Goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar witnessed the moment when Ferguson decided enough was enough.
The Dutch star said: “The manager pulled the earphones right out of Rio’s ears the other day at United. He made out he was joking for a second, but I strongly believe he was giving a message to Rio.

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 16
They can play the music on a stereo instead, make it a team experience.
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 16
Maybe music helps them concentrate. The locker room must be a lot quieter if everyone is listening to their own music.

Unless there is a structured method that the coach uses for them to "prepare for the match" I don't see a problem with them listening to music, inspirational recordings, relaxing exercises, or whatever else they have on their ipods.

--Linda

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by padi89
I think for an individual sport its fair enough but it seems like you are isolating yourself from everyone else if its a team sport.

First thing that came to my mind as well. Back when I used to swim in high school, another one of my fellow captains on the team listened to headphones all the time before meets. Our coach didn't like it to much. As much as swimming is an individual event based competition, it's still a team sport, and being a captain, he should have been with me and the other captain encouraging the team.

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda513
Maybe music helps them concentrate. The locker room must be a lot quieter if everyone is listening to their own music.

Unless there is a structured method that the coach uses for them to "prepare for the match" I don't see a problem with them listening to music, inspirational recordings, relaxing exercises, or whatever else they have on their ipods.

--Linda

i guess if the team starts a losing streak, maybe then "they" will let them listen to cans again.

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 16
Anybody catch the winter Olympic snowboard events? Those guys were listening to music immediately before and during their events! There's a marketing opportunity for DAP players if I ever saw one!

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon.
They can play the music on a stereo instead, make it a team experience.
wink.gif

I don't think those big and buff footballers will want people to know they listen to Kelly Clarkson and Hilary Duff
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 16
With the amount of money these guys make, you'd expect them to have nicer headphones.

Seriously, if it doesnt affect their performance, I dont see how listening to music is bad.

Before I go out for a game, I like to listen to some tunes to pump me up. Kind of like a prematch ritual.

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilgnome
With the amount of money these guys make, you'd expect them to have nicer headphones.

Seriously, if it doesnt affect their performance, I dont see how listening to music is bad.

Before I go out for a game, I like to listen to some tunes to pump me up. Kind of like a prematch ritual.

They do play some music in the changing room prior to the match =P

PS: I hope Newcastle mops the floor with Man united today
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back