Headphones as meditation.
Feb 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 44
Funny timing with this thread. Was laying in my bad after work relaxing to some Shpongle- Tales Of The Inexpressible (some whacky DMT inspired music to those who aren't familier) and after couple of minutes started to fall a sleep since I was tired. But the music was still loud enough not to let me fall a sleep completly. So I was half in a dream state half awake through the entire album.
Man I love it when it happens! Espesially with electronic music or something like Rediohead.

On topic, though. I find it hard to achieve meditative state while listening to music unless it's just a single repetetive sound like drum beat (like this
tongue_smile.gif
)or some of those Tibetian bells. Some non complex ambient stuff like river flow, sea waves or forest sounds should work, too.
It's still not true a meditation though IMHO (in a traditional sense atleast). Headphones wont give you that. Just distruct you. Unless you're simply looking for deep relaxation.

Still though there's no question about the fact that music can cary you away with it to a point where you totally forget yourself. I rarely get that. I envy those ppl who can just sit there and listen to classical music and practically dissapear in it. I guess I still don't "understend" calssical music enough to a point where I can attach to it like that.

Chillout (especially Jaia- Fiction) and ambient (especially- The Future Sound Of London- Lifeforms) does it for me though, at times.

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #17 of 44
Yes, I agree that it's a very deep, relaxed & meditative state, that an individual can achieve through music. Headphones in particular especially IEMs IMO due to their great isolation, though one could experience this through a home system as well.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #18 of 44
Meditation is the sound. So, no need for headphones.
The Flower of Life by Drunvalo Melchizedek.

Please copy/paste this on youtube:The MOST IMPORTANT Video You Can Watch.!!!.
There is 18 parts to watch, highly recommended...

headphones are a great device to remind you that there is more...

Music: Pete Namlook, and some Biosphere.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, anything that relaxes me completely, detaches me from the stress and cares of the day, and allows my head to float away into the stratosphere is meditation. Headphone listening may not be a traditional meditation method, but it works!

Yes, but you missed Unkle Eric's point. What you're doing is awsome, and I actually just got up from a bit of it myself, but it's not mediation, it's just spacing out
biggrin.gif
Meditation refers to something specific, and is actually a lot of work. Meditation in Tibetan means "familiarizing", refering to concentrating on something to the utmost degree, an idea, or the breath, the self, etc. Leading American scientists say that humans are only able to concentrate on something for a couple seconds without getting distracted (probably true for Americans). Tibetan masters can do this for hours on end... i'll stop now
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I listen to some good music with eyes closed, I often drift off into a deep, deep trance. When the CD ends, I have to shake my head to wake up, and it may take a few minutes to come back to earth! Does anyone else experience this?

My 48s are like HD audio...When I shut my eyes I can discect every layer of the notes, rhythm, and beats..Xray vision with ultra clarity.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to never be able to just sit still and listen to music, always wanted to do something besides. Now everything is the other way around, when I listen to my good setup, I can barely concentrate on anything else than the music, and just want to close my eyes.

The same for me
jecklinsmile.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #22 of 44
Happens to me, too. I wouldn't call it meditation though, different feeling.

One time I was put into that trance you speak of listening to Dark Side of the Moon, and then "Time" started playing and completely caught me off guard. I freaked and grabbed the HD555s I had at the time and threw them off my head and into the wall. They suffered no damage
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #23 of 44
I was listening to floyd a few nights ago (Animals) as I was laying down and going to sleep. Next thing I knew my room was spinning (or perhaps my bed?) except it wasn't like a nausia spinning where you lag behind the speed of the room, was more like jet fueled spinning, after a few minutes I took my headphones off cuz it was creeping me out.

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 44
I regularly fall asleep with my headphones on not my precious stax though. In fact because i have trouble sleeping i sometimes do it on purpose. There are several times i've been caught out for example Nirvana's nevemind where i drifted off only to be frighted to death by the hidden music at the end of the album! The comfort issue doesn't worry me as I spent many years in the military and got used to the comfort of a rock as a pillow
smile.gif

The trancing out aspect of headphones is part of their enjoyment and the fact that you can drift away from the world for a while.

Bizarre story regarding headphones and sleep many years ago I had a set of sennheiser joe average cans with a huge cable attaching them to my stereo on the other side of my bedroom. The bed i had at the time was a crappy foam mattress on top of a steel wire mesh and springs (military comfort). I used to come in from a night out sometimes roaring drunk stick on my cans and fall asleep. After one particularly heavy duty night out - drink at the bosses house, dinner in the evening, midnight barbeque and champagne breakfast - i finally crawled into bed and must have put my cans on.

During my drunken sleep i somehow managed to wrap the super long headphone cable around the springs on the bed and also around my arms and body essentially pinning myself to the bed! I was so drunk i had to chew through the cable to free myself !!
tongue_smile.gif
I don't drink much these days
smile.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 44
Yeah. I actually had one of those complete trance moments for the first time a few nights ago. I laid down on the couch for the first time with my dt770 at around 1am, completely dark, eyes closed and listened to some Juno Reactor. I disappeared completely into the trance of the music (pun intented!). When I shook up from it after an hour I thought 'whow.. that was what they call an eargasm!"

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #26 of 44
did anyone try the Digital Doser program ? (It sends certain sound frequencies that simulate the drug effects from Marihuana to LSD...)

I'm very interested if it really works

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #28 of 44
Different types of meditation for sure...

When I was in med school I would always study to a specific set of music. Back then on cassette tapes. Believe me I was always studying. During a test, if I came upon a question that made me pause...I quickly relaxed turned on the music from memory in my head and often, very often the answer came to me. I did pretty well and my study mates were often after my tapes when I wasn't there.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did anyone try the Digital Doser program ? (It sends certain sound frequencies that simulate the drug effects from Marihuana to LSD...)

I'm very interested if it really works

Can always try the real thing
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back