Headphones are rusting + general nastyness. [Pics]
Apr 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

spmoore93

New Head-Fier
Before I dive right into the direct problem I'm going to explain why I think it's happening.

It's usually hot as all hell in my room (80f+), I game as well so things tend to get a little heated causing me to lightly sweat in the ear region, lol. Since the earcups are entirely sealed it gets quite hot in there and usually wet. This is why I have to clean them almost every week.

Also I tend to get on my computer several minutes after I hop out of the shower so naturally my body is much warmer than usual, and that mixed in with the fact that my hair is still slightly damp will cause it to get wet in the ear cup over time as well.

Many times I have twisted off my ear pads to find condensation sitting on the metal.

I was really just curious if this happened to anyone else. I'm getting rust and sweat/salt spots (I think) around screws and even on one of my drivers. :insertpukefacehere:

Right is left and left is right, mis-label.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Well, I can say for sure that this hasn't happened to me. I usually don't put my headphones on when my hair is wet because it will screw up my hair :wink:

It looks like all that is surface rust though. You can remove surface rust with damp tin/aluminum foil. Crumple up the foil into a small ball, not too tightly though, and just scrape away as if you are sanding a piece of wood. Then wipe it all dry after wards. This will get rid of most of the surface rust but some may be a little tougher to get rid of. Of coarse though do this at your own risk. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then don't do it. The Driver is titanium plated and won't rust, so the sound shouldn't change. I doubt your headphone will fall apart from rust.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Well, I can say for sure that this hasn't happened to me. I usually don't put my headphones on when my hair is wet because it will screw up my hair
wink.gif

It looks like all that is surface rust though. You can remove surface rust with damp tin/aluminum foil. Crumple up the foil into a small ball, not too tightly though, and just scrape away as if you are sanding a piece of wood. Then wipe it all dry after wards. This will get rid of most of the surface rust but some may be a little tougher to get rid of. Of coarse though do this at your own risk. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then don't do it. The Driver is titanium plated and won't rust, so the sound shouldn't change. I doubt your headphone will fall apart from rust.

It hasn't changed sound however there is rust on the driver, at least in the center. You can see it in the picture.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 4
It hasn't changed sound however there is rust on the driver, at least in the center. You can see it in the picture.

Oh ok I see the rust in the center. I think that's just the magnet though so I wouldn't worry about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back