Headphones and violins…
Mar 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by GooWiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious... do any of you play the violin?

Yes.
But with violin and viola much more than most instruments what you hear when you play is quite different than what you hear when someone else plays. This is because the instrument is secured to your body and low frequency sound transmits right to you. So this gives the sound a weight that is not heard when someone else is playing.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't find the bass hump intrusive at all?
Interesting.

Not on the GS-1000s. On the Grado PS-1s, yes. On the Ultrasone Ed. 9s, yes, on the Denon D5000s yes.

I think this is because it's bass is somewhat disperse in comparison and not a thick solid sledgehammer. It gives rumble and weight without being the kind of bass that gets fatiguing to me.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #48 of 53
kool.
I must say I appreciate that little extra weight when listening to rock with a good el-bass groove, Pixies comes to my mind, and in chamber music.
Maybe I should expand my solo cello library, get something recorded really proper. The GS1000 is after all quite revealing.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #49 of 53
I just picked up Saint Saen's Cello Conerto #1, hadn't heard it before. It's not the worst thing you could pick up if intereted
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #50 of 53
Well, for what it's worth I'm a classically trained cellist and a violin dealer...so I hear a lot of live strings
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the GS1000i 'phones I picked up a lot for listening to the violin. The comments about the difference between what you hear when you're playing vs what you hear in the audience are VERY important. An old Italian violin set up for the concert hall can strip the beard off your face when under your ear!

Add in the variability of the recording engineer's take on what a recorded violin should sound like and you have a pretty kettle of fish. In a very real way, you might decide you like the sound of that DG recording of A.S. Mutter through your X&Y amp through your fill-in-the-blank 'phones better than you like the sound of her live in a hall. For me, it's still worth throwing on a coat and tie and driving down to the hall.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up Saint Saen's Cello Conerto #1, hadn't heard it before. It's not the worst thing you could pick up if intereted
icon10.gif

What sort of recording facilities/location? studio, music hall, small, large, stone, wood…
Found a naxos release, they're usually pretty good.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by GooWiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious... do any of you play the violin?

Yes.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #53 of 53
Hello,

Please view my system in my profile. I have experimented with many avenues in modifying my stax system (tube rolling,upgraded capacitors over and over, ect....) and now I have finally created a ultimate stax system. This system is extremely neutral, and absolutely stunning. It is so clear, you can actually tell if they are using synthetic core strings, or gut strings on there violins. Good Day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back