Headphones and Speakers at the same time
May 7, 2008 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tumama

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using my ATH-AD700 at the front panel of the case and the speakers connected to the back panel of the onboard audio.
Before my ATH, i used my Koss cans, which came with a volume control at the cable. But the ATH doesn't come with that control and i can't turn off the headphones when i want to listen only through the speakers.

Could you give me an advice how to silence the headphones? I'd tried doing it by Realtek software with no results. Also i tried using an Y connector and failed.

May 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 5
Too much trouble to unplug it? Seeing.. as it's right in the front of your case.
Software base, I don't see any easy way..

With a dpdt switch, and two input jacks, you can make a small device to break the circuit.. It'll cost you about $1 in parts.. but it'll be pretty shabby..

May 7, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tumama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you give me an advice how to silence the headphones? I'd tried doing it by Realtek software with no results. Also i tried using an Y connector and failed.

Yep, the only way is to unplug it. It's not such inconvenience, is it? If you're worrying about the plug or jack wearing out due to frequent plugging and unplugging, you're being taken by misconception. Your sound card and headphone more likely reach end-of-life for other reasons before the jack and plug worn out. (End-of-life could mean electronic malfunction, headphone driver malfunction, or system upgrade.)

May 7, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberTheo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, the only way is to unplug it. It's not such inconvenience, is it? If you're worrying about the plug or jack wearing out due to frequent plugging and unplugging, you're being taken by misconception. Your sound card and headphone more likely reach end-of-life for other reasons before the jack and plug worn out. (End-of-life could mean electronic malfunction, headphone driver malfunction, or system upgrade.)

Hum, i hope you're right. Unplugging it's not difficult, but i thought i was going to break the front panel with that constant moving. That happened with my old cheap speakers that had a front headphone drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back