Head-Fier
Hi, looking for some advice...

My current setup is as follows:
-Krix Equinox Mk. II Speakers
-Presonus Audiobox USB Interface
-Technics SU-500 Integrated Amplifier
-Technics SL-210 Turntable
-Sennheiser HD449 Headphones

It's mostly listening for rock/metal music, think everything from bands like America & Crowded House all the way through to bands like Slayer & Neurosis. As well, some gaming & casual movie/tv show watching but the main focus is music. At the moment I mostly listen to digital files in high quality FLAC format such as CD and vinyl rips plus some actual vinyl listening but my turntable kind of sucks. 

So far I'm extremely happy with the speakers and maybe the interface. But I have a few questions which I think are relevant here.

1) Should I upgrade the Interface? It already provides a pretty good increase in sound quality over the on-board motherboard audio (ALC892). It sounds far more natural, less 'squashed' and seems to have more bass. The on-board seems to have some slight clipping as well. However, I wonder whether a dedicated DAC would provide any/if at all of a further increase in sound quality. I also use the interface for recording guitar (nothing serious but still essential to have this ability) so I would still need an audio interface regardless. Additionally, the headphone out on the Presonus is not very good, at least with my headphones, so if I did upgrade to a DAC I would probably go for an integrated DAC/headphone amp. I use the headphone out on the Technics amp as it sounds better.

2) Furthermore, is it even possible to use an audio interface and DAC at the same time with low latency? The interface for input and DAC output. The interface is obviously optimised for low latency with appropriate drivers etc. This is crucial for playing/recording guitar through a PC. The best option obviously seems to be a higher end Audio Interface, however that's if it would provide a better quality DAC sound, at least a quite noticeable difference, to the same level between the onboard and my current interface. 

3) I definitely want to upgrade headphones. The HD449s I would say are ok, the vocals especially I have always thought are very good but the rest is not that great. I think I would like a more 'open' sound and as well 'wider' on the horizontal axis (if that's possible?). Some more separation, detail and clarity would be nice as well. Overall I think I tend to go for a fairly neutral sound that is punchy. I have seen some HD598s for a good price ($230 on sale from $400). Maybe a good choice? 

4) I will also upgrade the amplifier and turntable but they are more straight forward to just see what I like best. Any suggestions? Thinking something along the lines of Rotel RA-10 and Pro-ject Debut Carbon. 

5) Say I do upgrade headphones yet it's not necessary to upgrade audio interface, I will probably still need a headphone amp unless the amp I upgrade to will be sufficient enough... ? Also, it is possible to run two output devices at the same time in windows i.e. USB interface and USB headphone amp. 

Thanks

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 19
First, where are you located that HD598s are on sale for $230? Recommendations tend to be US centric quite often on Head-Fi, and here right now they are $150. Helps to know what country you live in.

Yes. Headphones would likely be one of your best upgrades for improved sound quality. What is your budget? Might want to edit your first post and and add that at the beginning. :)

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 19
Sorry, I'm in Australia. Budget for headphones is probably around the price I listed for the 598s. DAC... well depends if I need one. The amp and TT will come later. 

To be honest I'm most keen about advice about the DAC situation. I don't want to waste money on something that might not make or difference, or not spend money on something that could make a significant difference. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 19
Well, the DAC might not make a difference. The purpose of a DAC is to accurately convert a digital audio signal to an analog signal. Audio science says that some DACs do that accurately within the range of hearing. In other words, spending more on DAC doesn't help. Is the Presonus Audiobox doing that? I don't know enough about it. Others believe that one can hear improvements in DACs that audio science says should have already reached that level of audible accuracy. So you might also have to decide on whether or not you subscribe to what audio science says or what people who typically reject the science believe that they can hear in subjective listening tests.

Note that the audio interface is not just a DAC but also a headphone amp. So could be a better audio interface would improve accuracy of the signal a little. Depends on the low output impedance of the Presonus.

That all being said, better headphones should easily provide the best SQ bang for your buck upgrade.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 19
I'm quite sure that there is some difference there in terms of sound quality, though really inspecting it (of course with volume adjustments), it's probably unlikely that a more expensive DAC will make much more difference. I'm not a true believer in all that kind of stuff but I'm sure I have heard an actual difference (not just volume) between the two. 

So onto headphones, would the HD598s be a good choice? Considering I already have a closed back pair I think I'll definitely want open backs. 

As well as I said above, should I get a headphone amp? Or is that kind of unnecessary until you get to the real top end headphones? It's not like I'm plugging it straight into the PC headphone jack either.. Also, the headphones will only be secondary to the speakers, so it's not crucial to have the ultimate best sound for them as if they were my only listening option. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 19
You're Presonus has a headphone amp; just not a very powerful one (according to the specs).

Some headphones are easier to drive than others and very well would benefit from using an external amp to reach your listening volumes. The HD598 are fairly easy to drive and might do quite well without one.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 19
Ok, I don't think I need one. The one on the SU-500 seems good enough. 

What else should I consider other than HD598s. In a similar price range there are some like Grado SR125e/i, Hifiman HE-300 and Beyer DT990 Pro. However, that's with the HD598s sale price, otherwise the HD598 is usually much more. 

Thanks for help by the way. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 19
I think Grados sound great for rock, especially guitar. Some people find them a bit aggressive in the mids and treble, but that is one of the reasons why they sound good. I have never heard their 125 models, but common consensus seems to be that the SR80 are a better buy for the money if you can get them cheaper. In fact, if you change the pads on the SR80 series to the l-cush pads used on the SR225, I think it takes them 80 to 90% of the way to the SR225 sound. The difference between the SR225 and the SR80 is (a) heavy duty cable, (b) better matched drivers and (c) different pads. The different pads seem to be the primary factor in making them sound different.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 19
I've heard that about Grados. I'm kind of put off by that though. My speakers are bit like that; quite punchy and aggressive, so I'd prefer something a bit more relaxed for headphones to have some contrast. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 19
Might also look at the Soundmagic HP200s: http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2013/05/soundmagic-hp200-review.html. I have not heard them, but I don't think they are supposed to be as aggressive as Grados, but probably not quite as laid back as HD598.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 19
The only thing is will the HD598s be a big upgrade over my HD449s? Otherwise no point in upgrading...

They are generally considered a much higher class of headphone.

I have read the HP200s are actually quite bright and fatiguing. 

And you will also hear that the HD598s are a bit dark and boring. It's all relative to individual tastes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back