Headphones and Receivers
Jul 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

blargleblarg

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new to hi fi stuff, so pardon my igorance.

I have a secondhand Onkyo AVR with a 1/4" headphone jack. I also have a pair of Harmon/Kardon headphones with a 3.5mm plug. I bought a stereo 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter and an extension cable to listen to my turntable with my headphones, but whenever I plug my phones into the 1/4" adapter (via the extension or not), the sound is quite distorted. What should I do? Do I need a headphone amp?

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 7
  Do you have a different receiver or component somewhere that you could plug the headphones in to using the 1/4" adapter?  To see if the issue is the Onkyo or the adapter itself?

I assume the receiver sounds fine when putting sound directly to speakers?  Is the 1/8th" plug being fully inserted into the 1/4" adapter?  sometimes they are pretty tight so that you don't pull it out on accident when the plug is inserted into the receiver. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 7
Unfortunately I have no other equipment that will fit the larger plug. Everything sounds great from the loudspeakers and sub. All connections are tight. However, the sound is dramatically better when the 1/8 plug is pulled out of the adapter slightly.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 7
Probably a bad adapter

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Reading even a few of the 1 star reviews on Amazon for the adapter there are multiple people saying the same things you are.  Bad sound, only works when 1/8th is slightly pulled out, only providing mono sound.

I would suspect that particular piece of equipment as the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back