Headphones and airplanes
Oct 12, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by nobody020
Hey guys,

but is there something..perhaps a cheaper alternative that offers just as much isolation?

-nobody020

...and is equal in sound? Nope, not that I know of.

The Etys are worth every penny they cost.

Oct 12, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #17 of 28
Well, equal in sound not necessarily. I'm just looking for something that i might be able to plug into the plugs of the airplane socket, so i can listen to (one channeled) the movie that's playing. I was hoping there would be a really cheap alternative..so that it wouldn't be prohibitive to buy two and stick them both into the sockets? haha. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. For me, quality isn't that big of a deal on an airplane trip when I'm just listening to the dialogue of a movie, but sound isolation is a must.

-nobody020

Oct 12, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

I was hoping there would be a really cheap alternative

You could get some shooters muffs and put them on over Sennheiser MX500 ear buds. That would probably come it at under $50 and still sound okay probably, but you would be the world's biggest dork.
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by nobody020
Hey guys,

I don't own any Ety's (although I wish I could ...), and was wondering if there are any alternatives to the ety's? I mean, yes, canal phones block out by far the most sound, but is there something..perhaps a cheaper alternative that offers just as much isolation?

-nobody020

You could still try the Etymotic ER-6. God knows why I'm suggesting them but if you are not too worried about ultimate sound quality & require it more for isolation. Then these will fit the bill as a cheaper option to the ER4's.

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #20 of 28
I don't think anyone explicitly answered the question: do you guys keep the Etys in your ears during big altitude changes? One of you mentioned that you put them in when you sit down, but what about the rest of you? Pressure changes can affect people differently depending on weird things like what their sinuses look like. ...

kerely

Oct 12, 2002 at 9:45 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
I don't think anyone explicitly answered the question: do you guys keep the Etys in your ears during big altitude changes? One of you mentioned that you put them in when you sit down, but what about the rest of you? Pressure changes can affect people differently depending on weird things like what their sinuses look like. ...

kerely

I would use them only when the flight attendants would say that it was o.k. to use portable equipment. By that time the plane was stabilized, so compression should not have been an issue.

Given that, I could see how they could have a negative effect on takeoff/landing, given the change in compression. To be safe I would wait until the plane reached comfortable altitudes.

Oct 12, 2002 at 1:37 PM Post #22 of 28
I have put them in as earplugs as soon as I am settled in my seat and left them in until landing without a problem. I think most of the ear related altitude problems are on the other side of your eardrum and in your sinuses. That is one of the reasons that is is dangerous to fly if you are very congested. I once thought my head was going to explode when I made a trip from Tokyo to Okinawa. I should not of been flying and I paid for it. Luckily there was no damage.

Oct 12, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #23 of 28
Well, after my first major international flights (I think Utah to Croatia and back qualifies as "major"), I am an even bigger fan of my Ety ER-4P's. Whether listening to music or listening to a movie over the crappy airline system, they were amazing. Even without music playing, I was able to block out nearly ALL of the background noise. Not just the engine, but the guy next to me thought I was crazy when I mentioned at the end of a flight that its a good thing the kid behind us hadn't been screaming the whole flight. Apparently he had. Most earplugs have seemed to accentuate voices (and babies, announcements etc.) The Ety's just block everything out. The only real drawback might be that you miss the important announcements in addition to the annoying "on your left, if you could see through the clouds and didn't have 6 other people and a wing in your way, you'd see the Grand Canyon" type of announcements.

I haven't had a problem with compression or whatever with these either on numerous flights. It's not like having a cold. THAT really sucks. This is usually no big deal from a pressure standpoint. Often, I will simply disconnect the phones from a music source, but leave them in for takeoff and landing.

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #24 of 28
I'm with John above, once I get into my seat, the Etys stay there until we land. They are there if I go to the bathroom, when food is served (those snacks are pretty loud with the Etys in
eek.gif
). I always make sure the plug is visable (on my lap) so the attendants see them before take off & when landing. The poor guy in from of me is in double trouble, not only does he wait to put on his phones till after we're at 10,000 feet, but then he looks foolish cause his phones say Bose on the side. Poor guy, he thinks he's all that & a bag of chips, but ignorance is bliss, or so they say.

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 28
After seeing all these posts above keeping the Ety's in throughout take-off and landing, I decided to give it a try. It was particularly nice considering I had chatty kids behind me and a screaming 2 year-old in the back.

But, I had two flight attendant try to get me to take them off. It's the cords that really disturb them I think. Even though I had the plug clearly visible and showed it to them, I still had to have a short conversation with them to explain it's alright. So that's a drag.

But man, do Ety's make flights more enjoyable. I'm about to start my 7th and 8th flights in the last 10 days and I'm so so so happy I have me Ety's.

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:08 PM Post #26 of 28
Just a short comment...

Flew to Palm Springs from Baltimore a couple weeks ago. Took an early flight and was pretty out of it initially. Didn't realize that I'd left the headphones on during takeoff untill we were actually taking off. At that point, seemed sorta silly to stop the music. No one said "Boo", or if they did, I didn't hear them. Considering no one said anything on the takeoff, did the same thing on the return flight. Again, no comment from the flight crew.

Not all flight attendents are as compulsive about silly regulations as others.

Bruce

Oct 16, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #27 of 28
Yeah, I always turn on the music as soon as I get on the plane. Generally no one cares. If the plane blows up, I'll be the first one to admit it was my fault.

Nice to hear you can keep your Etys in though altitude changes with no problems.

kerely

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #28 of 28
well, it's no different from what others are saying, but add me to the bandwagon.

i travel LONG distances (australia > malaysia > taiwan > US and back) on a semi-regular basis. the novelty of flying has long since worn off, and i came to dread each trip.

but not anymore...

add one ety er4p, plugged happily into an MD recorder, and experience how serene plane travel can be. i keep them in almost the whole time, and the difference in noise is incredible. i've never had a pressure problem with them.

****, they'd almost be worth it without music. but then you press play, and enter a whole new world.

seriously, there has never been a better travel companion than a pair of etys. they even look cheap so you're not a target in dodgy places!

HIGHLY recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back