headphones amplifier l3000 and ps1 ?
Feb 16, 2010 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mazinguerbeta

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,I have bought these 2 excellent headphones one month ago and I am looking for a headphones amplifier that obtains a good synergy with these 2 headphones. If someone wants to share his personal experience, I would be very grateful. Regards

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 25
I have great results with Headamp Gilmore Reference and Headcode Dual Mono. Though those two have been discontinued, but you could try Headamp GSX for balanced version and GS-1 for SE version.

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazinguerbeta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks punk, what´s your opinion about beta22?

If you couple these cans with a beta the next level must be electrostats. Be careful!
icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 25
I cannot speak about the PS1. I have had really good results with my Woo WA5 and the L3000. With the right tube combo these sound really good.

Cheers,

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 25
Gilmore gs-1, I think that it´s a good option, has a good price and good opinions. I am thinking buy someone of these 6, if is possible to write your opinion, I would be grateful for it .
GS-1
E.A.R HP4
WOO WA5
Melos sha gold
Beta 22
Rudistor RPX-33
your ranking?
The headphones with the which I it would use are l3000 and PS1

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 25
I owned both of these headphones but not at the same time. When I had the PS1, I used it with a Mapletree Ear+ HD. It sounded really good with this amp but I had to play around with different tubes in order for it not to sound too bassy. This setup gave them nice sweet mids. Then I sold the PS1 and picked up the L3000. I used it with the Mapletree for awhile. It also had a nice sweet sound but has the opposite problem with the bass. Just didn't seem to have enough power. Seems sort of slow.

So I ended up selling the amp and my DAC and bought the DHA3000. I couldn't be happier with this combo. Very quick and great control over the bass. Has a very nice tone. I know purk has more experience with different amps and used to recommend Singlepower. But since the whole fiasco, that's no longer a good choice.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned both of these headphones but not at the same time. When I had the PS1, I used it with a Mapletree Ear+ HD. It sounded really good with this amp but I had to play around with different tubes in order for it not to sound too bassy. This setup gave them nice sweet mids. Then I sold the PS1 and picked up the L3000. I used it with the Mapletree for awhile. It also had a nice sweet sound but has the opposite problem with the bass. Just didn't seem to have enough power. Seems sort of slow.

So I ended up selling the amp and my DAC and bought the DHA3000. I couldn't be happier with this combo. Very quick and great control over the bass. Has a very nice tone. I know purk has more experience with different amps and used to recommend Singlepower. But since the whole fiasco, that's no longer a good choice.

Yep, it is ashame that I can no longer recommend the SP SDS, I still think it is the best amp I've heard in single end configuration. The DHA3000 is a great choice for the L3000 but I'm not sure how well it will mate with the PS-1.

Quote:

I have obtained information in another forum, and very much people say that the best is the beta 22, another possibility would be phonitor .Thanks

The L3000 and PS-1 are relative easy to drive, I still think that you can mirror the BETA22 performance with the Gilmore Reference or Headamp GSX. After all, you really don't need that much power to make the L3000 sounds great. What you should focus is the texture and tonality of the amp. My Gilmore reference (a GS-1 with much better PSU and parts) really compliment my L3000 really well.

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #15 of 25
I own those phones and have tried both on several amps. As recommended, the Gilmore GS is a good match. I have the Gilmore Reference (some kind of improved version yet discontinued) and the pairing is good. However I like them both on the Beta 22 better. On the B22 bass is tighter, a bit more controlled and "rounder", which on the L3000 is a very welcome feature, without sacrificing the delicacy in the midrange and treble the Gilmore has. The PS1 also benefit from it, they sound a bit more "alive" if that means anything to you, also more "open", but for a tiny bit, which can be just my brains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back