Headphones/amp.
Aug 15, 2003 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

CrawlingEye

100+ Head-Fier
My 18th birthday's coming up on September the 13th, so I've been considering what I want, for it.
The only thing I can think of is a new set of cans and a headphone amp.

Ideally, I'd like something closed, but I wouldn't dislike open headphones. I'd like something close to flat, as well.

I've been thinking of getting the HFI 650 Trackmasters and the Headsave Ultra. The only problem I have is that I've heard that the Trackmasters are uncomfortable for extended use.

Any other thoughts?

Oh yeah, my budget is about $300. So figure an absolute max of around $325 (shipping aside).

My primary uses would be my computer, for playing games, listening to music and possibly recording.

Thanks.

Aug 15, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 21
Oh yeah, after looking at Meier-audio, I've noticed Ultrasone has also released HFI-2000's which seem to be described similarly to the HFI-650 Trackmasters, except open designed and more comfortable. Any thoughts on if there's a significant difference in sound quality and if the 650's are that uncomfortable?

Aug 15, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 21
I suppose it depends on whether you want to follow the beaten path or be a pioneer.
biggrin.gif
The 650's are fairly well regarded here and there doesn't seem to be much information about the 200's.

Aug 15, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 21
$300-325 gives you plenty of options. Many people first choices though would be for open cans. How important is your closed preference?

Aug 15, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
$300-325 gives you plenty of options. Many people first choices though would be for open cans. How important is your closed preference?

Fairly important, as one of the reasons I use headphones is to play computer games at night without disturbing the rest of the house, also if my girlfriend is over, she sometimes sleeps while I play games and/or listen to music.

If outside of the cans it isn't incredibly loud, I have no problem with them being open.

Aug 15, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 21
I use Sennheiser HD25 for gaming and mp3s
smily_headphones1.gif
And portable use too...
But that's in Sweden, probably more to choose from in the superduper big USA
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 21
Thanks for all the replies so far. Any other suggestions?

I'm also curious of what mini to mini cable I should use for the source to the amp. I've seen a lot of cheap ones, but all aren't even gold plated.

Thanks yet again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by CrawlingEye
Fairly important, as one of the reasons I use headphones is to play computer games at night without disturbing the rest of the house, also if my girlfriend is over, she sometimes sleeps while I play games and/or listen to music.

You're playing video games/listening to music while your girlfriend is sleeping over at your house? I think you need to reevaluate your priorities before you start thinking about what headphones/amp you're going to get.
wink.gif

Edit: Spelling.

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by mrkun
You're playing video games/listening to music while your girlfriend is sleeping over at your house? I think you need to reevaluate your priorities before you start thinking about what headphones/amp you're going to get.
wink.gif

Edit: Spelling.

She works, I don't. She generally goes to sleep long before I do, so rather than keeping her up, I put headphones on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 21
I think I'm quite settled on the Trackmasters and the Ultra. Thanks, everyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still curious on the cable that I will need for the source to the Ultra though. RCA to mini or mini to mini?

Any suggestions (with vendors listed) with a reasonable price?
Thanks.

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #11 of 21
The Ultra has two RCA jacks in the back. So depending on your soundcard you'll need a RCA set or a RCA-mini Y adaptor.

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Wow. someone who doesn't curse like a sailor when he gets fragged.
eek.gif

When I get fragged, I look and see who got me, ignore everyone else in the melee, and go after the son of a gun.
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
The Ultra has two RCA jacks in the back. So depending on your soundcard you'll need a RCA set or a RCA-mini Y adaptor.

I have an Audigy 2, so I assume that'll be an RCA to mini adapter cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Wow. someone who doesn't curse like a sailor when he gets fragged.
eek.gif

When I get fragged, I look and see who got me, ignore everyone else in the melee, and go after the son of a gun.
biggrin.gif

Nope, I try to keep my cool.
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Nope, I try to keep my cool.
tongue.gif

I hunt the SOB DOWN baby!
biggrin.gif
I get rather worked up playing FPS games online though I don't do it much. Way addicting but way fun...

I owned the TrackMaster for about 6 months and it worked great. Plenty of isolation though the pads will make your ears hot during extended listening sessions. As for the sound, remarkable clarity, great bass extension, an agressive high-end, great detail and sound placement, forward & intimate mids...I thought they were great.

Another more comfortable possibility is the Audio Technica ATH-A900. I haven't heard this though I'd love to compare it with the Ultrasone HFI-650 TrackMaster.

As for the cable, there are a lot more choices out there for RCA ICs than RCA-mini ICs, so I would go with a good set of RCAs and an adapter. It's doubtful you'll lose anything with the adapter.

The Ultrasone HFI-650 doesn't _need_ an amp, but I really like it with my (former) META42. Be sure to burn in the phones too, they really opened up after about a week of listening (no fancy schmancy burn-in techniques for me
tongue.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back