Headphones + amp or just headphone and pc onboard sound card.
Dec 30, 2011 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dpcassil

New Head-Fier
So I know its been asked a million times but none of the answers fully set me at ease on the issue.

I just got a pair of AKG k240 mkII for $128.  I then ordered a fiio e10 amp/dac for $80.  so $200ish

My question is.  Is that a better settup than say a $250 set of Bererdynamics dt880 or akg k701/2s and no amp just an ipod or pc sound card?

BTW.  I love these k240s  I feel the 880s has a bit more hmm..... im not an expert so not sure what youd call it but they sounded a bit grander.  granted this was in guitar center out of a nice amp so...... ??

Thoughts?

Thanks in advnace for any info.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 6
I own Q701's If I didn't have an amp (I've used them without) The sound isn't worth more than $100.  Cheaper phones with a good amp will sound better.

I'd take the 240's with an amp over the 701's without any day.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks all for the info.  My amp came in today and it does clean things up a bit.  I wish they were a bit further on the highs but they are good.  And for a total investment of 200. I really can't complain.   Still the bererdynamics 880dts connected to a studio headphone amp sounded quit a bit better.   But that was probably closer to a 800. Set up.   I am interested in these cheap tube amps I see on eBay and mentioned on this forum.  I may get one of those to pair with my e10.     Last thing, I do a lot of garage selling.  I find old receivers all the time.  Any one know of some older receivers that have good headphone amps and freq range.

As for the the k240mkII and the e10. Without the amp I can only listen to them at about 50% of my preferred volume, I don't listen to music loud either.  With the amp I could blow my ears off if I wanted and for the most part the music stay tight.  I did notice that at extreme volumes (metal head) volumes, the lower frequencies began to get muddy but this was way louder than I listen.  It was also only with heavy metal music.   I listen to movie soundtracks, classic, world, and a bit of house.  These did great for all of these.  Base was great for an adult or discerning youth but would not likely satisfy base heads or anyone who wants to feel the music.  As for the e10 it seemed to to its job we'll  I do not know if it is to blame for my missing upper frequencies or just the headphones.  If I get a chance to plug it in to something nicer I will let you all knows.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 6
Quick question.  I can always upgrade / add an amp later so what about this.   q701 with one of those cute little tube amps a few here have been raving about on ebay.  I could probably handle the $250 headphones and $45 amp.   I think im just not really happy with these things.  They are great, no doubt but the highes are just not where I want them to be.   any thoughts?   I am seriously considering returning both headphone and amp to amazon and getting the q701 and that tube amp.

Any other ideas / thoughts.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 6
I returned both the k240mkII and the amp.   I can get a cheap amp now and find a nice one in 6 months to a year.  This seems better to me than an average headphone and amp, both of which I will want to replace in a year.  Having these did teach me the benefit of an amp as the cheap little fiio e10 really helped fill out the k240 its just once they were near max potential I was left wanting more.   Once my return clears amazon.  I am probably going to get the k701 or k702  I may try to track down a local pair of hd650 as those are considered by most of you all here a slightly better set.   The k702 and 701s are just so darn good looking though. (not that it should matter)   but they are pretty.

We will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back