Headphones + Amp for studio\mix reference use - advice needed.
Apr 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Tubular Bells

New Head-Fier
[size=small]Hi,[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I was searching the forums for the past few days, trying to find the most transparent\accurate headphones + amp combo for serious studio use, mix reference etc.[/size]
[size=small] Besides the obvious need for transparency and accuracy, the headset should be comfortable and not too ear fatiguing, so I can work with them for relatively long sessions.  [/size]
[size=small] The amp will be connected to a Lynx Aurora DAC which has XLR connectors.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] It feels like I don't have the whole picture, so I'm hoping you can help me fill in the blanks. [/size]
[size=small] From what I read so far, I believe I have two possible "routes":[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] The "old school" route:[/size]
[size=small] Head set: Sennheiser HD600\650, AKG702 or the Beyerdynamics 880 Pro - which one?[/size]
[size=small] Amp: The SPL auditor seems like a good match, but I wonder if I can use a less expensive amp that will be transparent enough to drive those?[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] The Orthodynamic route:[/size]
[size=small] Headset: LCD-2 or HE-500 - will those be better for my needs?[/size]
[size=small] Amp: What amp will you pair with those?[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Thank you all very much![/size]

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 16
For mixing and monitoring, you don't want something warm and involving like the HD600, or anything with a colored sound signature. You want something that designed as a monitor and has a very analytical sound, like those mentioned above for mixing by MalVeauX.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
For mixing and monitoring, you don't want something warm and involving like the HD600, or anything with a colored sound signature. You want something that designed as a monitor and has a very analytical sound, like those mentioned above for mixing by MalVeauX.

Thank you both!
I was under the impression that the HD600 is very flat\natural sounding.
Like stated in this article for example:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm
The models I wrote should be good for mixing, making EQ decisions etc.

What about a transparent amp to pair with the HD600\dt880pro?

Thanks again.

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:

Thank you both!
I was under the impression that the HD600 is very flat\natural sounding.
Like stated in this article for example:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm
The models I wrote should be good for mixing, making EQ decisions etc.

What about a transparent amp to pair with the HD600\dt880pro?

Thanks again.

Ever been to a studio? Talked with people who mix/produce as professionals?

I ask because you may find it very different than what you're going to get here.

Very best,

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Yes and Yes.
Care to elaborate?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out, you will find a lot of them use rather inexpensive headphones. Basic Sony's. Some AKG's. Nothing wild. Even the mastering headphones tend to be only of mid-fi price range. It's their mixing boards and controls and computers and microphones that actually cost a dime. You seemed to come in ready to drop some serious bank. Basically, I just don't want to see you throw down a bunch of money when you don't have to. Head-fi has a sneaky way to making you think you have to spend $1,000 ~ $2,000 easily.

Very best,

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 16
For headphones that can be used as monitors, the KRK KNS8400 and Sony MDR-V6 are your best options. They show you the detail and are very accurate. While headphones like the HD600 sound very nice and technically have a relatively flat sound, their type of sound is more "warm" and inviting, rather than detail-oriented. What you want for monitoring is something ultra-flat and detail-oriented, because headphones like the HD600 and others you listed will make the music sound nice, even when it really doesn't in the mix. That's the problem with using home-use, warm headphones as monitors.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 16
I use my Denon D7000 for mixing/overall studio work, but I used to use my Sony MDR-7506 for that purpose before, but found the general bright sound very fatiguing but very accurate throughout the spectrum. I am also using my HD800 for mastering purposes, they are accurate and flat, especially below 1k, and many studio mastering houses use them. But I will always reference with my speaker studio monitors to find it that it sounds good, or as many places I can play my music such as my car, friends audio, all my headphones.
In the end, you have to get used to the sound signature of your headphones and how your music can be reproduced universally on all other hardware. I recommend the Dacmini for studio work as its really efficient and a great overall DAC + Amp.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 16
In short, here's the information you can act on: For monitoring and mixing, use something ultra-accurate like the KNS8400. For mastering, use something more dynamic but still flat, like an upper HD-series Sennheiser.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
In short, here's the information you can act on: For monitoring and mixing, use something ultra-accurate like the KNS8400. For mastering, use something more dynamic but still flat, like an upper HD-series Sennheiser.

Thank you,

I currently monitor with AKG240-MKII.
What exactly make KNS8400 suitable for making mixing decisions (EQ,Compression etc)?
I saw the frequency response graph for the KNS8400 and I can't figure out what is flat about them.

Thank you all for the great help!

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #13 of 16
Testing methods used for FR charts can be inaccurate and varying, as can be shown by referencing graphs from Headroom, Golden Ears, and InnderFidelity. They will often be quie different. In addition, as I'm reasonably sure you know, a "flat" sound isn't necessarily an utterly flat graph. There will almost always be wild swings near the top of the graph, no matter what the sound, and the midbass often looks quiter when really it'll sound quite accurate. This is because your ears perceive the sounds differently than others, so that a smaller midbasss or deep bass response will have more volume when transmitted to your brain.

What makes the KRK KNS8400 great for monitoring is not necessarily that it's the flattest headphone in the world (though from personal experience it's perhaps the second-flattest I've owned), but that it's a huge detail monster on the cheap. Its level of detail has been compared to the K701, and I can back that up having owned the KNS8400 and extensively auditioned the K701. Being closed, it has an advantage over the K701 in terms of outside interference (though in a studio setting there shouldn't be much of that, anyways), and you'll be able to find every little thing that's wrong with your mix.

I hope this all makes sense and helps!

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 16
It helps if the headphones are flat, but in the end it is you yourself that has to get used to the sound signature and then adapt to it correctly in order for your music to be reproduced as you wanted it on as many speakers/headphones as possible. By that, you should know if the headphones lack impact, and how you can work around it, or are overly harsh and how you must reduce the brightness while producing, and so on.

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #15 of 16
I'd just cover all your bases and go with something that's flat to start with. Even after having them for over 1000 hours of listening time, I found that any mix that I did with my ATH-M50 lacked bass a little and had more mids than I liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back