Headphones Amp / DAC - Shortlist to two - Last stretch
Jan 30, 2017 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

thyname

500+ Head-Fier
I promise this will be easy read :)

I also promise that I have for quite a bit, but, gotta tell you, it gets more confusing the more you read...

Shortlisted the following desktop DAC/Amp integrated:

1 - Audeze Deckard (can get this brand new at $575 shipped)

2 - Schiit Jotunheim w/ DAC module. Obviously this is $500 direct from the company.

Which one would you guys recommend for me?

Or can I do better with another device (cheaper / better and so on).

Headphones:

HiFiMan HE-400i

Audeze EL-8 Titanium (getting this tomorrow)

Music I listen is metal / hard rock, but also contemporary pop and vocals.

Thanks! 

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 8
Love the Schiit gear for the HE-400i. You have the angled pads on them by chance? I have a friend who loves the Schiit Modi Uber and Magni Uber with the 400i and he really enjoys it. If you want separate power supplies this might be the way to go. I personally use the Bifrost 4490 as my reference DAC and it easily beats out any other DAC I have including the m903.

I don't have experience with the Deckard, but the Schiit gear is solid. Optical in is missing from the Deckard so if that is something you want / need you will have to look elsewhere. Optical is nice because it avoids unwanted stutters that USB can have and better isolate your sound system from electrical noise.

If I was in your shoes I would probably go with the Bifrost 4490 and the Magni 2 Uber putting you at $650 and virtually future proof for dynamic and planars. If that stretches your budget too much the Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber stack will be great too.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 8
Love the Schiit gear for the HE-400i. You have the angled pads on them by chance? I have a friend who loves the Schiit Modi Uber and Magni Uber with the 400i and he really enjoys it. If you want separate power supplies this might be the way to go. I personally use the Bifrost 4490 as my reference DAC and it easily beats out any other DAC I have including the m903.

I don't have experience with the Deckard, but the Schiit gear is solid. Optical in is missing from the Deckard so if that is something you want / need you will have to look elsewhere. Optical is nice because it avoids unwanted stutters that USB can have and better isolate your sound system from electrical noise.

If I was in your shoes I would probably go with the Bifrost 4490 and the Magni 2 Uber putting you at $650 and virtually future proof for dynamic and planars. If that stretches your budget too much the Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber stack will be great too.

Thanks!

That Magni 2 Uber / Modi 2 Uber combo looks good and cheaper than Jot. Only missing Balanced outputs for headphones.

Or maybe I step up to Asgard 2 for the amp?

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Unless you fully understand why you need a balanced setup I suggest sticking to a good single ended system. It is simpler, cheaper, and has fewer components getting in the way of your music.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Unless you fully understand why you need a balanced setup I suggest sticking to a good single ended system. It is simpler, cheaper, and has fewer components getting in the way of you music.

You are most likely right. I read conflicting opinions on the benefits (or lack thereof) of the balanced setup.

I am leaning more and more on a Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Magni 2 Uber combo. ABout $300 plus shipping.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Hey, here are a few tracks to test out your setup, what ever you decide upon.

Artist Name : Stephan Baer
Track Title : Bay of Bengal
Islands of the Orient

Artist Name : Yggdrasil
Track Title : Beyond the Borders of Sanity
Album Title : PROSE EDDA

Artist Name : Bella Sonus
Track Title : Rincón de España
Album Title : Enamoured

Enjoy the music my friend.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 8
Update (OP):

I ended up ordering a TEAC UD-503 from a fellow head-fier (of course used and at a good price)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back