Headphones alike portapro
Jan 27, 2017 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HiCZoK

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have portapro and it;s the best headphone I've ever used. It's just fantastic but I am curious if there is anything else worth checking out in similar price range.
I like bass, fun sound and most of all comfort.
So far I've found skullcandy grind, px100ii, px95, sound blaster jam(its also wireless) and there is probably much more.

I am not saying the headphone have to be on ear. That's not true. I had few over ear like CAL! or brainwavz hm5 but I found sweat a big problem and CAL! headband was just too small.

Source is fiio e10k and sometimes android smartphone. I want to play games and listen to music. Mostly games and movies soundtracks

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 6
I had a Porta Pro and I liked it very much also. But then I bought a used Grado SR60 on eBay...  The Grados are AWESOME! If you like Rock, Acoustic, Vocals, energic music with forward mids, sparkling highs, great bass buy a Grado... You won't regret it. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Hello, 
I just grabbed a pair of Yamaha HPH 200 and well, I recommend them to you. They got a premium sound while being portable and open.
For real, these cans are impressive light and simple but the sound is incredible for the price.

They trash all skullcandys or beats and bose which cost 3x more. Yamaha HTH 200 is closer to monitors in sound quality, balanced and precise. You will love em. I'm wearing them right now and listen to some electronic music and really... they are good.

The bass is well represented, as well as highs and mids, they're a good all rounder with great sound stage. 

Again, don't go into scullcandy trap...any of them are inferior to these yamahas.... damn how can we even compare yamaha with such nonsense:)

I hope that helps ^^ You;re welcome :)

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 6
You should check out the Superlux HD681 Evo. It has deep, trenchant bass and a nice, balanced sound overall. I have much more expensive headphones and still listen to my Evo regularly. Highly recommended. Really good value for the money.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 6
@Superlux HD681 Evo - I've tried it at friends place and disliked heavily. Comfort was bad, build was bad, sound was just very plain. Not much bass or oomph. Just not a headphone for me I guess. Lol and I was the one who recommended it to him based on this forum.... but on the other hand, he only had onboard card and velour pads on at the time.

@Yamaha HPH 200 - looks very decent but is quite expensive. Will try to give it a try somewhere.

@Grado SR60 - there seem to be few version of these. Never tried any but they have a lot of fans. Not sure I've ever hear that they have bass. would be interested in trying these too.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 6
^^ well, it depends on what you wanna listen. I tend to listen much on electronic music like progressive trance, space but also metal and for the sake of amazement i tried to listen to lot of other garbage and these little things really do scale up and around well. 

After listening for a while I can tell the bass is punchy and present but not bloated (not beats or scullcandy rumble), the mids are there, you can hear voices like they're around and highs are flat, there, but won't scratch. And they got sound stage, for sure.

I've been listening to electronic music with them, for which i normally use the dt990's and can say they are holding their ground quite well, which really surprised me. I personally haven't tested other better headphones in this range, or bellow so I can't recommend you something else to worth the price. They do worth a try, indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back