headphones advice
Oct 12, 2009 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sniperdude

New Head-Fier
Hi all

looking for some headphones that wouldn't really need a headphone amp
to sound nice

(haven't really got the £££ for a headphone amp tbh)

anyway they will be connected direct to my PC's soundblaster audigy 2 platinum
external breakout box here

and will be used for Music (not dance!)games,film and also with guitar rig

have a cheap set of sennheiser 201 that rattle when i use a lot of the presets in Guitar rig

I am looking towards ad700's but am unsure and i really don't want to make a mistake on this

have about £100 to spend

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 14
HD595 is a bit harder to drive put playable without an AMP, the AD700 are excellent phones for non-amp use. The only question will be bass response and how important and how much if you want from a headphone. Personally the music I listen to does not need alot of bass and I really like clear unmuffled mids (I find the HD595 and HD555 both to have a veiled midrange with the 555 being much alot worse than the 595) and I want HUGE soundstage all of which the AD700 delivers in spades. If bass or the illusion of bass (the 595/555 don't have more bass IMO just a larger mid-bass presence that comes across as boomy bass) is important to you go with the Senn's, otherwise you will probably like the AD700.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sniperdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen to everything apart from dance music

i hate that repetitive Bang bang bang type music

Well, i've just bought a pair of Ultrasone DJ1 headphones, and i'm loving them. unlike most of the other Ultrasone range, they're easy enough to drive without an amp. other than that, i'd hunt around for a pair of used Sennheiser HD25-1's maybe.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 14
my ad700's arrived today

I think they sound great but they are totally to loose for me
its not like am a little guy with a small head or anything either

the bottoms of the phones sit on my jaw area while the tops are not even touching

tilt my head forward or back and they just fall off so I they have to go back

I play guitar on my pc so with these headphones looking at the fretboard becomes impossible

now am left with the HD595 unless someone has any other ideas ?

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 14
hmm, i've got the A900s which are the same size and use the same headband and i've never had those issues. Creaked a bit before they'ld stretched to my head size properly but that's it. You can't mosh with them by no means but still they grip pretty well.

I always thought Grados were the place to go for guitars, check out the SR80.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #12 of 14
mate if these phones had to stretch to your head size you must have a much bigger hat size than me lol

they have very little grip on me at all they move about of I tilt my head back
of forward

the phones themselves only touch my head at the bottom this leaves
a gap at the top of the cushioning

I have seen posts of people saying these make their jaw uncomfortable and this would probably be the reason for this

they did sound great but for over £100 they should sound great and be a nice fit too

I don't just use them for guitar I use them for gaming film and music all on my pc and I don't like the look of Grado's TBH

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 14
what about the AKG k450? they are not 100£ but the ad700 isnt also..

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 14
Don't know, think am going to have to do some more research.

I might start to look into closed headphones the noise escaping from the ad700
was a little more than I expected

your right the ad700 isn't £100 is was £116

Users who are viewing this thread

Back