Headphones 5.1 surround sound
Feb 19, 2007 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Merc508

New Head-Fier
Please can anyone help. Ive just came across this site and joined up. I am looking for a good quality set of Headphones(overhead) wired, that will give quality sound with 5.1 surround sound, to connect to watch my television, which has Dolby Digital Surround Sound and also my Dvd player recorder, which also has the same sound system. The walls are a bit thin where I live. I watch television quite alot and want somthing that would give that Cinema sound effect. I did buy some sony wireless surround sound headphones but they were terrible, they had too much distortion, so I sent them back. So anybody out there can ghive me some information as to what they think would be worth considering, please let me know. Thankyou all.

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Feb 19, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the info. I did look at the JVC SU-DH1 on the internet and did wonder if it was any good, though it did say it only worked by 2 small batteries and wondered how long it would last. Have you used this peice of equipment? also you included on your reply the Sennhiser 595 headphones, are you saying that it would be worth pairing them up together? or just using by themselves?

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 12
Well as another option to the one mentioned above,
if your primary usage is for home then go for Sennheisers.
But I would suggest you to go for some good closed ones
so that you could have 'Dolby Headphone' on the go.
You could go for JVC or else if you aren't from US then
you could even go for Creative HQ2300D DD/DTS decoder.
I have got creative one and I enjoy DH on the go.
Well I had HD555 and HD280Pros before. Now that I have
switched to Ultrasone HFI-650, I feel more impact and
immersive experience. Its entirely up to you if you want to
go for AKG K271s or Beyer DT770. Ultrasone have stopped
doing normal HFI-650s and they have got HFI-700 on a
normal lineup. Or else you might need to spend another $50
for Proline series. I suggest you going for HFI-700 as they
have got the same drivers as that of legendary HFI-650s.
Hope this would help.

PS: You are the one listening, so you make your final choice.

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks VKvedam, for the information. Yes I am not from US. I have looke at the creative HQ 2300D Headphones on another Web page and looke at the reviews, there was only 2. One said that he had bought the Creative HQ 2300D just for the decoder and then bought another headphone set, so it put me off a bit, are they good?

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc508 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. I did look at the JVC SU-DH1 on the internet and did wonder if it was any good, though it did say it only worked by 2 small batteries and wondered how long it would last. Have you used this peice of equipment? also you included on your reply the Sennhiser 595 headphones, are you saying that it would be worth pairing them up together? or just using by themselves?

You can get a wallwart adaptor for it.

If you want properly good sound, avoid bundled headphones which are usually poor sounding (well, except maybe the wired Philips DH unit as that comes with a good headphone).

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 12
I just mentioned about the decoder.
Headphones are not that great sounding when compared
to Sennheisers or Ultrasones. I have sold my headphones
to one of my friends for about 1/3 the price.
I have got mine from Creative's Ebay (UK) shop for half
the price (£35) and I sold those headphones for £10.
As far as the decoder goes its amazing. It actually decodes
DD/DTS properly when fed through SPDIF/Optical Out.
Yes my posting does say about only the decoder.
Get some good sounding closed or open cans as per your
budget. Hope this would clarify.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 12
Zalman has good surround but aweful sound quality. There is much better 5.1 headphones out there like Kinyo (even includes it´s own amp) and Medusa and the Razer Barracudas.

However I would suggest you try out some Ultrasones. They are very good at giving a surround impression. Speech is often (not with all recordings I have noticed) appearing to come in front which is superb for movie watching that don´t support surround.

They do excel with dolby headphone though and they have the bass extention and isolation much needed for movies.

There may be 5.1 headphones that can give you better surround sound if you don´t have access to dolby headphone especially however the sound quality on my Proline 750 is so much better then my Kinyo 5.1...

And that headphones is actually not so bad (though I have played them so much some driver is broken or something lol). I find them comparable to Koss Porta PRO for example for music.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Hey thanks you guys, I came back on the computer tonight and all these replies, thanks. Thought when I was reading down the page, the information from cherepashka, on the Zalman phones and amp, looked good and found that there was a distributor 50 miles away that was selling the Zalman amplifier. Then back to all your comments everybody else said they wernt that good, so Cherepashka suggested the Proline 750. I have found the Web site and looked at the Reviews, ( they look very good and just what I am looking for) So I will hold back and waite to see if anybody else has any comments before I look into my wallet.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back