Headphones ~ $300 Classical/Instrumental Music
Jun 5, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #16 of 18

Just out of curiosity - is music like the above (orchestral soundtrack music from big budget action movies) considered "classical"? I've noticed that a lot of the time it tends to be mastered much edgier (more forward, compressed, and eq'd to be unnaturally "exciting") than traditional classical pieces;  they are often rather aggressive sounding.   

Most of my classical music library sounds... very different. A lot more dynamics, and is more nuanced. 

The reason I ask is that I wonder if what one normally recommends for traditional classical music is what one would recommend for soundtrack music.

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #17 of 18
^I'm not entirely sure, sometimes I think of it as instrumental, but compared to the other genres, it does seem closest co classical. 

So far, here is where I am at with the Momentums. They have had about 20+ hours of burn in and are now sounding much better. My biggest complaint about these is the comfort; as I wear glasses, the earcups get uncomfortable by the fifteen minute mark, and my ears do get quite sore.

Disregarding that, I seriously like these headphones. I know there are some better headphones for this genre at the price, but I just fell in love with the look and packaging of the Momentums, and I'm quite disappointed that the fit isn't right for me. 

As far as sound quality goes...

Lows: Much bigger than expected; with an EQ they have a really nice rumble to them that I can appreciate. The only issue is that it doesn't feels as tight or as controlled as I would like it to, and this is ever so slightly problematic with the kind of music I mentioned.

Mids: Exactly what I wanted; really full-sounding and overall mid-section; my only complaint is that the detail is not there in some tracks.

Treble: This is probably my biggest issue sound-wise with these headphones. The extension that I want just isn't there, and in many instrumental tracks, the mids and lows come through, leaving the highs somewhat in the background. I think I might want a more clear, detailed, slightly "sparkly" treble extension.

All in all, I am looking for a closed headphone with more detail and treble extension than the Momentums with a slightly bigger soundstage. I'm willing to compensate on the bass volume overall, but I would prefer a tight and punchy sound. Price should be at most $220 (to allot money for Fiio E11), and portability is a big plus. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back