10% games

A few songs that might help the recommendation:
YouTube - Trentemoller - Evil Dub-Moan
YouTube - Pollini plays Chopin Nocturne op.9 no.1
YouTube - Tool - Lateralus
YouTube - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Stay Or Leave
YouTube - radiohead street spirit
YouTube - Animal Collective - Brothersport

I listen to a very diverse library of music - everything from deep house, to hard rock, to classical, to acoustic, and I really want to be able to hear everything beautifully.

I listen to FLACs, Vinyls, and Vinyl FLAC rips (on albums that I misplaced or where ruined in the flood).

I know there are a few other threads about this sort of thing, but I am really looking for a pair that really meets my needs.

Thank you in advance

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 10
Do you currently have any sort of DAC or amp? Or what kind of sound card is in your computer that you will be driving them with as this will help with recommendations that will sound the best with your current equipment.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you currently have any sort of DAC or amp? Or what kind of sound card is in your computer that you will be driving them with as this will help with recommendations that will sound the best with your current equipment.

Well, right now on my computer I am using a Creative SupremeFX X-Fi. However, that will probably be upgraded soon - not sure to what specifically (probably a card in the 150-200 price range)... though that might not be for some time.

I also have a Sony STR-DE635 Dolby Digital Receiver.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Your post, oldsoulrevival, would perfectly describe the situation I was in when I had to choose a headphone for myself.

After listening to headphones (the AKG K-271 and some beyers, 770pro, 880pro and 880 2005 edition) in my favourite stores fore quite some time, my decision fell on the AKG 601.

Im perfectly happy (-: (good thin is, they certainly dont need an amp.)

Other phones i had in mind, but could not hear them myself, were: Sennheiser HD-650, of course the AKG 701 or 702 (...but both are said to be hard to drive) perhaps Beyer DT-150.

i suggest you read a while, wait for the posts in this thread to come and sort you favourites out, according to your habits in listeing to music. For this, headphi is a great place to look for information.

When you've sorted your favourites out, go ahead to try them yourself. This will be the most important part!

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by orby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your post, oldsoulrevival, would perfectly describe the situation I was in when I had to choose a headphone for myself.

After listening to headphones (the AKG K-271 and some beyers, 770pro, 880pro and 880 2005 edition) in my favourite stores fore quite some time, my decision fell on the AKG 601.

Other phones i had in mind, but could not hear them myself, were: Sennheiser HD-650, of course the AKG 701 or 702 (...but both are said to be hard to drive) perhaps Beyer DT-150.

i suggest you read a while, wait for the posts in this thread to come and sort you favourites out, according to your habits in listeing to music. For this, headphi is a great place to look for information.

When you've sorted your favourites out, go ahead to try them yourself. This will be the most important part!

I was looking at the 701s. Is there any noticeable difference between the 601 and 701?

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 10
I would recommend the Shure SRH750 DJ over the SRH840 in this case.

But it's under your budget, if you want something beefier maybe go Beyer DT770 or as some have suggested Ultrasone HFI 780 (have not heard but should be nice for your needs) and Denon 2000.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by orby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I highly recommend this Akg K601 Open Back Headphones, now it has a deal, only $190 bucks and was $349, which saves me a ton!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back