Headphone w/Switchable Line Output
Oct 14, 2006 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

eeyssjr

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there all,

I am looking to buy a headphone amplifier which has a switchable line-output on the back using a switch on the front. Basically this output will then feed on to some analogue active loudspeakers. The volume will be controlled by a separate pre-amp feeding the line-in on the headphone amp. Make sense i hope?

"Headroom Desktop Amp" certainly fits the bill.

Its a bit more bulky than i'd like and a bit more hi-end than i need.

Anyone know of another amp that provides same functionality?

Many thanks

Oct 14, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 4
I haven't come across an amp of that functionality yet, or at least not one spoken of around here. But here's a simple cheap audio A/B switchbox : http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

The 2nd one, let's you switch between Output 1 or 2 from one source. You could put a seperate headphone amp downstream of one of the outputs while leaving the other one for your speakers.

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 4
As long as there is room on the front for a minature switch and room on the back for another jack (either 1/8 mini or RCA pair), it would be really simple to add that capability to any headphone amp. Just cut the wires from the existing inputs, run wire from the input jacks to the switch. Then from the switch to the output jacks and from the switch to the input on the amp board. That would give you and either/or switch.

There are other wiring schemes to do different things. You just need a soldering iron and an electric drill to mount the switch and jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back