Headphone Usage
Dec 28, 2002 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TravelLite

100+ Head-Fier
A typical intensity and duration survey:

Of the options listed, which most closely describes your current headphone listening pattern and practice?

Guidelines:

SOFT, MODERATE, and LOUD are relative terms. The user should define these for himself.

Per day times are aggregate, but should not be averaged over a longer period of time. For example, if you listen 1 to 2 hours per day, but only twice a week, vote for the 1 to 2 hours per day option.

TravelLite

Dec 28, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 12
Oops, that'll be me voting for the last option...
redface.gif

By loud... I can't think subjectively, and I don't have any measuring tools, but when the going gets good (songs I REALLY like) I have my X-Can V2s volume control at 12 o'clock...

At least one other member here has said its unbearably loud at 10 o'clock
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Oops, that'll be me voting for the last option...
redface.gif

Dec 28, 2002 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 12
re: -1, -2

the first thought that came into my head when I saw the graph was, "who's that nut?"
biggrin.gif

now there's TWO of you.
eek.gif

Dec 28, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm a softie for 2-3 hours each day. My rule of thumb is that I should be able to clearly hear my fingers softly rubbing together (not snapping, rubbing) through the headphones and the music. A guarantee that I'm listening at safe volumes. Likewise with Staxs, loud volumes aren't needed. I can clearly hear every last detail whether I play it loud or soft. Since electrostatics lack dyanamic punch anyways, there's no need to turn it up to get that punch. As long as I can hear everything, I'm good.

Dec 28, 2002 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 12
3 to 4 hours on average a day for me. This includes my 1.5 hour commute to work also. Since half of the time is spent with the Etys at low volume I think I'll be all right. Otherwise, I use my Radio Shack digital S.P.L. meter, when I'm rocking out. I try to keep it under 85db C-weighting with the meter pressed right up against the diaphragm.

Dec 28, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 12
The volume labels may be ambiguous. In choosing "loud", I meant the highest volume that was neither painful nor caused any residual effects (ie hearing loss). That might well be somebody else's "moderate" volume (as judging from the poll results).

Dec 28, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 12
I voted low volume >5 hours per day. I generall work at home many days, and love to kick back with my cans and listen to them in the background while I'm working!! It seems to help me stay focused and enjoy my time working when I have the music in the background. Sometimes, during the day, I run my Klipsch 4.1s at low volume, but at night it's exclusive cans territory!!!!

Dec 30, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 12
Individual breakdown results for listening volume and hours per day are as follows. Based on 48 votes as of Sunday, 12/29/02.

Quite a range, but no real surprises.

Volume:
Quote:

Hours per day:
Quote:

TravelLite

Dec 30, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 12
I vary between soft and moderate, but I'm usually at 1-2 hours, sometimes a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back