Headphone upgrade with "wow factor"
May 1, 2004 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

diskvask

New Head-Fier
First time poster, long time lurker.

Have: Grado SR-80, AKG K-501 & Creek OBH-11SE + OBH-2. Source: M-audio revo

Want: A major upgrade (wow! factor) from the Grados with something that preferably matches the Creek. I like the SR-80, so maybe Grado SR-225 or something in the same price range.

Build-quality is also important, which I feel is not a property of the all-plastic Grados...

Listening to: Neil Young, B. Dylan, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave, Nick Drake, GYBE, Sigur Ros, Songs Ohia, Beck, Alice Cooper, Marillion, some ambient/electronica. I.e. not much of classical, heavy metal, rnb, rap and trance.

I kind of live "out in the woods" so try before I buy is unfortunately not possible.

Both the SR-80 and K-501 have limited soundstage debth, so something with debth is desirable. Althought from what I've read the SR-225s pretty much have the same soundstage as SR-80; in-head/on stage.

I got the AKGs about 1.5 years after the Grados and although the AKGs are more detailed there was no wow-feeling (like when I first listended to my Grados). The lack of bass is not annoying, in comparison the SR-80s sounds more like they have too much bass than that the K-501s have too little.

Looking back at what I've written, I'm beginning to wonder if want I really want is the opposite of the SR-225s!
smily_headphones1.gif

Any comments/recommandations?

May 1, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 9
The biggest WOW factor I've experienced in my headphone life is the Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra-Curve Pro digital equalizer.

There's just not a whole lot separating entry level audiophile sound (which you have) with high-dollar audiophile sound, IMHO. The Behringer will take care of that REAL fast. Honestly, who needs a pair of R10s when you have this thing..

Or, since you're using a soundcard, why not just use a little computer-based EQ? It is soooooooo easy to add a little more bass or whatever you want to do. I doubt the computer EQ you'll find is as nice as the Behringer, but I'm sure there's very nice computer-based EQ out there, and it's cheaper.

Anyway, want some more bass on the AKG501s, eh... hold on tight, 'cause here it comes...

Behringer DEQ2496 thread

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

And BTW, this is NOT mainstream head-fi advice!!!! Lend the naysayers your ear! That's right, go ahead, DRINK THE KOOL-AID!
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskvask

Want: A major upgrade (wow! factor) from the Grados with something that preferably matches the Creek. I like the SR-80, so maybe Grado SR-225 or something in the same price range.

May 1, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, a more traditional response to get things back on track for you...

Are you using comfy pads or flat pads on your SR80s? That can help a lot.

And, IMHO, the best "WOW"-sounding headphone with true audiophile credentials and soundstage and depth is the Sony CD3000. Probably actually worth the extra bucks if you're not going to use EQ. SR225s are great phones, but they ain't gonna take you there, IMHO.

Good luck again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Any comments/recommandations?

May 1, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 9
The Behringer is a bit out of my leauge; I have no knowledge of microphone measurements and frequency tuning/calibration. And it's too expensive...

I'm using the standard doughnut pads.

May 1, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 9
Fair enough... though you can just do things by ear with the equalizer, it's not that involved. But anway.....

Are those the wooly ones shaped sort of like cones? Seriously, many a Grado SR80 owner has been much, much, happier with comfy pads or flat pads or Senn HD414 pads than with those wooly coney things. It might be a pretty big sonic upgrade for you, for real cheap.

I have tried the stock SR80 pads and flat pads at head-fi meets and I have tried the comfy pads and Senn pads at home and I tend to agree the wooly coney things are a disaster, while the others are all pretty nice, IMHO. (I have the Grado SR60s, which come with the comfy pads.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

The Behringer is a bit out of my leauge; I have no knowledge of microphone measurements and frequency tuning/calibration. And it's too expensive...

I'm using the standard doughnut pads.

May 1, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 9
I think soundstage is related to being able to resolve detail and it's less of a function of the headphone and more of the source and amp.

Even if you had the better soundstaging headphones, CD3000, R10, and K1000, you could only go so far with mediocre equipment upstream.

I say try to get an emu1212m soundcard or external DAC.

May 1, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 9
It looks like the emu1212m has balanced output only... Also it's clearly an overkill for a playback device, I'd be paying for top of the line a/d converters and input facilities good enough for music production... only to be left unused.

For playback, the Revolution is more that enough for me.

May 1, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 9
True but you're getting far better playback also.

You want to be wowed yet not get a better source? It doesn't make sense to me at this point. K501 are already good. I would upgrade source and amp before attempting to move to another headphone.

May 1, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 9
I'd recc the HD-580's. I bought the SR-225's to compare and to my ears at least they certainly sound quite different, similar audio quality but a vastly expanded soundstage that I am much happier with.

I imagine compared to the SR-80's the audio quality will be improved as well. Plus since the 650's came out used 580's go pretty cheap here now and are quite resellable, so you wouldn't be taking much of a risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back