Headphone upgrade path recommendation (over Elex and Edition XS)
May 11, 2023 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IkSak

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice about potential upgrade paths.

Presently I have two headphones that I use for my listening (different to classic, that's reserved for my HD800): 1) Focal Elex and 2) Hifiman Edition XS. I like both signatures and I keep one of them at home and the other at my office.

I'd like to upgrade both to better alternatives. I wrote a review of the Elex and I love that it is detailed and dynamic, awesome for latin music which I listen. For this headphone I'd like to have more detail and a tad more of clarity in the sound, preserving its dynamics. My upgrade budget is approx. 800 and I'm thinking about a Focal Clear (used)

Regarding the Edition XS, I love its tuning, detail retrieval and soundstage. I have been entertaining the idea of getting an Arya, but I'm not sure if the improvement is a good one over the Edition XS. I'd also consider buying this used.

What do you recommend me? Any upgrade recommendations within my budget (could stretch to 900 dollars if an option is worth it?

May 11, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 5
The original focal clear is a very easy recommendation. Depending on your amp the he6se is really affordable and another great option that I preferred over the Arya. But, again, it needs a monster of an amp.

May 11, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you. What makes the he6se preferable to the Arya? My THX 887 has 4W into 50ohms, would that be enough based on your experience?

May 14, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you. What makes the he6se preferable to the Arya? My THX 887 has 4W into 50ohms, would that be enough based on your experience?
When I had it fully powered with 5W or so, the he6se had more impact and 'slam' than the arya, which I found a bit soft and safe in comparison. The he6se gave me more "boom" when the music called for it; a more fleshed out low end. I haven't heard an 887 amp, but I was not a fan of the drop thx 789 - I found it very dull and sterile. Volume was fine, but I thought it was lifeless in comparison to some similarly priced tube amps like the darkvoice 336se and bottlehead crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back