Headphone upgrade options for Schiit stack?
Jul 26, 2022 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

opd1

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. Long time lurker of Head-Fi, though haven't been compelled to post much. My previous account was with my SBC Global email address so I must not have used it in quite some time. Checked some old messages and looks like I bought my first headamp, a custom built Dynalo, from someone in 2006 which sadly got damaged in a move.

More recently have been a Schiit-head, buying a Magni/Modi stack in 2013 which I replaced last year with a Bifrost 2 / Jotunheim 2 combo, and am eagerly awaiting the BF2/64 upgrade.

Lately, I've been contemplating an eventual headphone upgrade to (perhaps) better take advantage of my DAC/Amp setup. I'm pretty happy with my current cans, so if a new purchase ends up being more of a side-grade, its probably not worth it for me. Just curious what folks think of the options below.

My current headphones are the Sennheiser HD600 and Hifiman HE-560 (v3 that was sold by Adorama, not the greatest build quality but I like the sound). Listen to a lot of rock music (Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Spoon, Radiohead) but also jazz (Coltrane) and ambient music when I'm working.

Here are the options I've seen recommended, mostly in the $800-$1200 range:

Audeze:
Focal:
Dan Clark Audio:
Hifiman:

I'm curious what, if anything, y'all think would be a worthwhile upgrade either on this list or something else entirely.

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 7
$499 is a great price for the HE-6seV2 I paid $560 a year or so ago very good headphone.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 7
Spend some time on either the Audeze LCD-X 2021or Jotunheim 2 thread, and there is a synergy mentioned between these two several times, several different forum members. As a newbie enjoying these, I'll definitely agree. Insanely musical in balanced line out mode from my DX320, to Jot2, to LCD-X (also balanced). Great dynamics, fun and engaging. The LCD-X 2021 crosses the BST listings here well in your price range.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 7
If you’re ok with used options, you can find really good deals on ZMF Auteurs at the moment with the release of the new Auteur Classic. I much-preferred the Auteur to the Aeolus, though both are great. I find the Auteur more versatile than the Aeolus and a really good jack-of-all-trades.

Disclaimer: If you get a ZMF, you might get tempted to get a tube amp as well. It happened to me, and now there’s no going back to solid state unless I get something very high-end like the ECP DSHA-3F that has always intrigued me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back