Headphone Upgrade - AudioTechnica (ESW-9 vs. A900X vs. ES10) vs. Beyerdynamic (DT770Pro 32ohm vs. T70P vs. Custom One Pro), etc...
Apr 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

baronkatz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello There,

I am looking for headphones that will be better than my Denon AH-D750s. The Denon's sound OK but really require a headphone amp to sound GOOD, also the cord is quite long and although they are comfortable something a bit more comfortable would be better. I will be listening to these at work for many hours so the most comfortable and least fatigueing (music wise) would be best:

Here are my requirements:

1. Made in USA/Europe/Japan (Nothing outsourced please):
2. Cans (I can't stand In-Ear phones, but especially those ones with the rubber that goes in your canal, makes me feel violated).
3. Lots of Bass (I listen to a lot of different types of music, but a lot of Dubstep, Electro, etc...)
4. Clean and clear (almost holographic) with excellent stereo separation but not too bright! If you know A/D/S I love THAT sound!
5. Don't require a headphone amp (Easy to drive? Does the Ohm rating play a part here as well as the sensitivity?). Most of these headphone amps are unfortunately Made in China and the ones that aren't cost more than headphones in my price range would be! Of course if my headphones will sound better than others without a headphone amp then maybe this would be an option instead of replacing my headphones.
6. Good Noise Cancellation.

Can be New Old Stock, Slightly Used, or New. So far I have found:

Audio-Technica ATH-A900X

They look beautiful and in my price range and MADE IN JAPAN but will they be a huge upgrade? Anyone have any other suggestions for the best I can get for this price? I have seen recent vintage high end AKGs, Beyerdynamics, Alpha's, Seinheiser, Pioneers, and many others even in the $50-$60 range on eBay used or in the $100-$200 new. Funny because my Denon's sell for close to that sometimes used!

Thank you!

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 37
Awesome thank you! If you can highlight what points the mark on my list, etc... It would be great. More suggestions welcome! I want to make a list that you guys suggest and then possibly go and listen to all the ones from that list at a store? Does anyone know a store that has a lot of headphones I can listen to in the San Francisco Bay Area? Guitar Center doesn't seem to mention either of these on their website so I am assuming they have neither in Store for me to listen to...

May 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 37
May 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 37
The Ultrasones are beautiful looking but unfortunately a bit out of my price range unless I can find them used... Any more suggestions from people? Also does anyone know of a place I can listen to all these recommendations? Guitar center is alright but their selection is very limited.

May 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 37
So I listened to the Beyerdynamic DT 880Pro (250ohm) yesterday and although I was impressed with the clarity of sound and comfort (although they did press on my jaw a bit), they just didn't have nearly enough bass for me at all. Should I discount all Beyerdynamics in that price range (including the Custom One Pro and 770 Pro mentioned in this posting) since this didn't do it for me as far as bass response? Will the Audio-Technica's and Ultrasone's and others have better bass response? I want to feel the bass, not just hear it, I am used to having  a subwoofer in my car and would want headphones that go down to 20HZ if that's even possible in my price range, new or used... The clarity and my other points are important too.

Another thing is I listen to a lot of mixes that are only available in MP3 format (from Soundcloud, etc...), so something that can be revealing even with compressed MP3s would be great. Again nothing too bright, I am sensitive to high pitched sounds... I find my current Denon AH-D750s are nice but not revealing enough and although the bass is OK, it's not nearly enough for me... Again I will be listening to these for a few hours everyday at work so comfort and good sound I won't get tired of is important!

Oh and finally another thing I forgot to mention is I listen at quite low volumes compared to most people, I don't want to damage my hearing. I usually don't turn up the volume more than 1/4 or so of the way upI (depending on what I use) on my iPod, B&O Beosound 2, Sony Walkman, or Nokia N900... The N900 sounds the best and iPod sounds the worst of the lot! I think the N900 must give more output in terms of V? My headphones and most I have heard, do sound better the higher you turn up the volume, so I want something that will sound great even at LOW volumes!

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 37
So the Denon headphones finally broke off the headband. I really need to find new headphones soon. Does anyone know where I can demo some? I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and Guitar Center has very few (mostly Beyerdynamics)...

I am debating between the Audio Technica ESW-9's and the A900X's. I want to take other suggestions too. I want something that would be $200-$300 new and around $100-$150 used. I have seen the A900X's new on eBay for $160 or so and used for around $100. The ESW-9's seem slightly more expensive (although they are a similar price used, Audio Technica rates them a notch above the A900X's). I have heard comfort issues with the A900X's but I am worried that the ESW-9's are too small to cover my whole ear? I love the real lamb leather and wood, etc...

I love the sound of ADS speakers if anyone has heard them, that's what I would really like in my headphones. A very open and enveloping sound, almost holographic in nature, with excellent stereo imaging, where I can hear details in the music that I may have not heard before. I don't like anything too high pitched and I would prefer some bass. Something that doesn't require a headphone amp... I find that my Denon's are very "closed" sounding vs. "open" in their sound, perhaps this is what people mean by warm. I don't like too bright as I am sensitive to high pitched sounds but I would like more depth and openess..

Oh and I will mostly be listening in an Office Environment for 4-5 hours a day minimum, so physical comfort and non-fatigueing sound is VERY important.

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 37
ATH ESW9 may be a good option, they have great bass for being such small cans, but if you listen mainly to electronic, I think either Ultrasone Pro 900 or Pro 750 (cheaper than the Pro 900 but should be close in sound quality) will be better as they have more energetic treble compared to that of ESW9 (quite warm, loses some details in treble). I'd avoid the ATH A900 and A900X as I think they have a weird upper-mids spike which makes the whole sound sig seem unnatural to my ears, plus the wing-system is not for everyone.

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 37
Also, if you intend to buy ESW9 off ebay (or even amazon), beware of fakes. I'd recommend buying them from an authorized dealer just to be safe. As far as comfort goes, I don't find their on-ear design to be a problem since the clamping force is just right for my small/medium head.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:
ATH ESW9 may be a good option, they have great bass for being such small cans, but if you listen mainly to electronic, I think either Ultrasone Pro 900 or Pro 750 (cheaper than the Pro 900 but should be close in sound quality) will be better as they have more energetic treble compared to that of ESW9 (quite warm, loses some details in treble). I'd avoid the ATH A900 and A900X as I think they have a weird upper-mids spike which makes the whole sound sig seem unnatural to my ears, plus the wing-system is not for everyone.

I just found out the Ultrasones are Made in Taiwan, not Germany! Only the Ultrasone Editions are made in Germany, but Beyerdynamic produces most of their headphones in Germany... but unfortunately the DT770s (or 880s, I don't remember) I listened to didn't have as much clarity as I was looking for and definately not nearly enough bass! I guess I am at stuck again... The a900x is made in Japan and I think the ESW9 is made in Japan too? Any more suggestions? It's a bummer as I was hoping the Ultrasones were made in Germany. Thank you!

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 37
The Beyers often require hefty amping to show their true potential. Did you amp them properly when you audition them? I don't have any experience with Beyerdynamic headphones but according to most people, they certainly don't lack bass or clarity (at least for the DT880, which is often consider a detail monster). I believe the early Ultrasone Pro 750s used to be made in EU but I don't know if you can find those now, no way to know before buying. And I'm pretty sure EWS9s are made in Japan.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:
The Beyers often require hefty amping to show their true potential. Did you amp them properly when you audition them? I don't have any experience with Beyerdynamic headphones but according to most people, they certainly don't lack bass or clarity (at least for the DT880, which is often consider a detail monster). I believe the early Ultrasone Pro 750s used to be made in EU but I don't know if you can find those now, no way to know before buying. And I'm pretty sure EWS9s are made in Japan.

They weren't amped and I think they were the 80 or 250ohm versions... However the DT770s have a 32ohm version and the Custom One Pro's which are the most in my price range are 16ohms? They were super comfy though...I will try to find the early Ultrasone Pro's or the "Prolines?" Were the Proline 650s Made in Germany or any of the Proline series before the Pro's? If not can you recommend any other headphones? I thought the Ultrasones would have been perfect, had they been made in Germany, although I think that 50mm cans would be more comfy for long listening periods than 40mm?

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #15 of 37
I don't think the driver size has anything to do with comfort, it is pretty much the design and the cushioning materials that matter. As others have mentioned, the Ultrasone is great for the types of music you listen to but finding those made in Germany can be a problem. Have you looked into the Maddog headphones? They seem to have very satisfying bass quantity and quality although I suspect they might be a little slow for electronic music. Fostex T50RP (pre-tuned Maddogs) was originally made in Japan but I have no idea where they manufacture this model now. The tuning job is made in the USA though. Anyway, most companies have their products assembled in Asia or South America now so you're left with very few options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back